hare with fur?

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hare today sells ground hare with fur.  Does anyone know if hare fur is good for cats?   We should feed fur to cats?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, in the wild they eat it. There was a study done in cheetahs, where it appears bone/fur have benefits as insoluble fiber. But I think my cats ingest enough of their own hair to not worry about it. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I almost forgot my cats eat enough their own fur.  

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I almost forgot my cats eat enough their own fur.  
Mine as well!  But I will say there have been no hairballs recently! 

I am not seeing fur in my commercial food (Rad Cat), but I do see bones and cartilage.  I am almost picturing a lucky rabbit foot  in your food

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It acts as fiber and pushes everything through is my understanding.  My cat eats whole mice and she'll now eat grouse that still has a bit of feathers on it. 

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hare today sells ground hare with fur.  Does anyone know if hare fur is good for cats?   We should feed fur to cats?
It is supposed to help as a "fiber" source since kitties eat fur in the wild. My kids would not touch this stuff when I got a small chub to try it out. It has a LOT of fur in the mix and I got an "all paws down" rating from my little experts.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know cats eat mice whole, but the mighty hunter cat we had when I was a teenager didn't eat rabbit fur. Even baby rabbits, he'd always leave the skin and feet (kinda creepy! :eek:). So I wouldn't get the rabbit with fur for cats. . .maybe occasionally for large dogs, though. I've seen them eat rabbits whole :lol3:.

Last edited: