Hare Today questions

pnp26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just have some more questions on raw feeding. I was on the hard today website and I see that they offer a ton of choices, do you get the meat, organ and bone ground up then add supplements to it. They do sell their own supplements to mix in is that okay or should I get separate supplements for them. I am still a little confused sorry. Can I also get chicken necks and give that to them as like a snack to have? Thought it might be easier to order it all from one place and do it that way but I am worried they won't get the nutrition they need, please help.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed Hare Today's ground diets. I think I have tried every single ground protein they have :lol3: I also buy the Alnutrin from them at the same time I make my orders according to how many pounds I buy. It is very simple to mix together. You use one scoop of Alnutrin for one pound of meat. I add the powder into a bowl with about 1/4 cup water. More water if your cats like it mushy or less water if your cats like the ground more dry. I stir up the Alnutrin into the water. Then I add the one pound of ground and mix it up very well with my hands. It is a bit like making meatloaf. I then use a large spoon and put about 2 ounce portions into ziploc baggies, weigh and mark the bags as to what the protein is and the weight. Then I put that baggie into a freezer gallon sized ziploc bag with the rest of the baggies, zip close and freeze.

I also buy some extras from HT like the duck hearts. You can absolutely give your cats a chicken neck as a weekly treat :nod: As long as the extras are not more than 15% of the overall diet you don't need to supplement them!!! Hope this helps some. :)

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the easiest ways to get started on raw feeding is to buy whole animals ground up, so that's an excellent idea of yours.

A couple of things to keep in mind. One, some supplemental mixes are meant to be fed in place of bone and/or organs, and some are meant to be fed with bone and organs. Some of HT's ground mixes include bones and/or organs, and some don't, so you'll want to pay particular attention to which ground mix and which supplemental mix you're putting together.

Second, cats that've been fed standard commercial diets don't have very strong digestive systems and may need some time for those systems to tighten up and begin working at peak efficiency. If you can, I would suggest you start with ground mixes from smaller animals, as those bones - although they may be ground down to the same size - are less dense and easier to digest than the bones from larger animals. Also, a daily probiotic would go a long way toward helping your kitty's system get back on track, and you can start offering that even before you begin feeding raw. This is one of the most popular: Double Acidophilus & Bifidus Capsules

AC

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, if you're just starting, Hare Today offers different sized ground meats.  You'll probably want to start with the finely ground.  As AC stated, you don't want big bone chunks, so with the finely ground, you should be ok, even if you order, say, goat.  And, yes, absolutely I would agree to add a probiotic, starting today.  We started them on a digestive enzyme (Prozyme) and Probiotics before they started on raw.  And, really, any good probiotic will work...doesn't need to be specially made for animals!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just chiming in to say that we recently started ordering Hare Today (two shipments so far) and love it!  You may or may not have discovered that the shipping is a great deal, even more so the more you order.  The amount for shipping doesn't go up much once you get past the minimum amount.  So the more you order the more you save on shipping.  (Of course the first time we ordered just enough to make paying the shipping worth it.  The next time we ordered as much as our freezer would hold.  And the shipping wasn't much more.)  We order the meat/organ/bone mixes (chicken, rabbit and pork so far) and use the supplement they sell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pnp26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not underwater but we are without power, it is so cold but the kittens dont mind much they just sleep under the blankets with me. Good thing i waited to order or all of it would have gone bad anyway. Just waiting for LIPA to help us out, good luck yoursef

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hare Today is excellent, you will love it!
Just make sure to get the "Fine ground" Meat/Bone/Organ mixes when offered.
The supplement you want to get is this one: https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=290
The probiotic I use is this one - it's excellent: Natural Factors Probiotic
And like with any transition, start slowly, when transitioning into raw and into a different protein - this will keep your kitty's tummy trouble free
So, if you're feeding meat and bone you still add that supplement? All I've been adding is calcium and using a probiotic. Should I be adding something like this? I haven't started feeding bone yet.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, if you're feeding meat and bone you still add that supplement? All I've been adding is calcium and using a probiotic. Should I be adding something like this? I haven't started feeding bone yet.
Wolcar, that's because it is a ground food..... Are you feeding ground or chunks? I was under the impression you were feeding chunks.
I don't use it either as I feed chunks. I use Calcium, probiotic and Omega3. I do add Taurine in the morning though.

When I was feeding Hare Today I did use AlnUtrin. Most of the other commercial grounds are already supplemented - Hare Today is not.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently received my first order from Hare Today.  Due to some User Error (that means:  I didn't read the description of the product closely enough), I had some concerns.  Good customer relations department (Tracy).  I'll order from them again.

I feed raw (protein + bone + liver + kidney).  Tracy said despite that I should really add a supplement, especially Taurine (degrades in the freezing process), because cats don't eat the entire carcass (unless you're feeding whole prey).

I have been reluctant to order ground because I really need Ritz to chew bones for dental health; she is predisposed to gingivitus.  So I'm going to try order coarse ground meat (no bone added) and the supplement--when my freezer is almost empty.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carolina didn't mention - when feeding ground with bone, you don't add calcium! :nono:

The Alnutrin for meat/bones/organs has taurine, vitamin E, some B-vitamins... I don't remember what all. There are several Alnutrin supplements, and some have a form of calcium. But when using them for ground whole animal (which has bones in it), you don't use the one with calcium - or any calcium.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina didn't mention - when feeding ground with bone, you don't add calcium! :nono:
The Alnutrin for meat/bones/organs has taurine, vitamin E, some B-vitamins... I don't remember what all. There are several Alnutrin supplements, and some have a form of calcium. But when using them for ground whole animal (which has bones in it), you don't use the one with calcium - or any calcium.
The alnutrin I provided the link for has no Calcium, which is why I did not mention. Based on her previous thread, Wolcar is feeding boneless frankerprey (which is why she is adding Calcium), also why I addressed her question the way I addressed.
But yes, either Calcium or bones, of course.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The alnutrin I provided the link for has no Calcium, which is why I did not mention. Based on her previous thread, Wolcar is feeding boneless frankerprey (which is why she is adding Calcium), also why I addressed her question the way I addressed.
But yes, either Calcium or bones, of course.
Oh I know, I just got worried when she said the only supplements she's using are calcium and taurine, yet the thread is discussing Hare Today ground mixes. I know they have a number of ground meats without bone, but.....