hard stool, best medications to soften stool?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure. Start with 1 tsp or even half a teaspoon once. See if he even likes the stuff. If he doesn’t like it, don’t force the issue. You can try hard boiled yolk. Or you can skip straight to making a batch of powder. With the powder, you can try very small amounts mixed into food or a treat without wasting the rest of the egg. The ideal is that he likes it and it works for him and you can simply give him a yolk or two a week. But cats being cats, he might not like the stuff at all. That's where the powder excels because you can get him used to very small amounts in treat or food and very slowly increase it until you've reached good stools or he says, "enough is enough!"

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add some specificity and clarity....it is the lipids/fats in the egg yolk that can do cause changes in the stool. The 'trick' to using them successfully is to start with very small quantities and, over several days, verrrry gradually increase that amount. ["successfully = not causing soft/runny/diarrheal stool]

Personally, were I to use yolk, I'd be starting with 1/8tsp (day) to allow his system to adjust and observing for any effect. I dread the thought of the after affects of a teaspoonful !

[for some background on how egg yolk 'works', there's a piece (by two previously prolific and most well-informed TCS members) right here.]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sama97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adding my two cents to the PEG recommendations. What's called Miralax in the US is called Osmolax in Australia, so it might be available under another name in your country. It's a laxative for humans, sold at pharmacies, not a pet-specific product, which hopefully may make it easier to find. It certainly works better for Daisy than either the pet laxative paste or lactulose did. On top of that, being powder it's easy to measure an adjust the dose, it's not sticky like lactulose, and as a bonus Daisy has decided she likes its barely-noticeable flavour, and drinks it out of the mixing spoon! She hasn't had any dry poos since starting it - I can see the moisture on them. Good luck!
Thank you!

Sama97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure. Start with 1 tsp or even half a teaspoon once. See if he even likes the stuff. If he doesn’t like it, don’t force the issue. You can try hard boiled yolk. Or you can skip straight to making a batch of powder. With the powder, you can try very small amounts mixed into food or a treat without wasting the rest of the egg. The ideal is that he likes it and it works for him and you can simply give him a yolk or two a week. But cats being cats, he might not like the stuff at all. That's where the powder excels because you can get him used to very small amounts in treat or food and very slowly increase it until you've reached good stools or he says, "enough is enough!"
Thanks alot i appreciate it🥰

Sama97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to add some specificity and clarity....it is the lipids/fats in the egg yolk that can do cause changes in the stool. The 'trick' to using them successfully is to start with very small quantities and, over several days, verrrry gradually increase that amount. ["successfully = not causing soft/runny/diarrheal stool]

Personally, were I to use yolk, I'd be starting with 1/8tsp (day) to allow his system to adjust and observing for any effect. I dread the thought of the after affects of a teaspoonful !

[for some background on how egg yolk 'works', there's a piece (by two previously prolific and most well-informed TCS members) right here.]
Ill try it out! Hopefully it works.

Sama97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would start with a tsp and see if he even likes the stuff. And also see how it treats him on the back end. Giving him a whole yolk to start may turn into a litter box disaster. This is where the powder becomes easier. You can give him doses that are less than a yolk without having to eat or dump the rest. He may be a yolk fan but it may be too much for him. In that case, make and use the powder and get him used to it. You can use it whatever amount that works for him. One or two yolks per week is an upper amount. Not a required amount. He may get on just fine with a much smaller daily amount.
Update; gave him a tsp of raw egg yolk over a little bit of food without mixing it, he ate it🙏 do you have an idea how long will it take for the effect to kick in?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update; gave him a tsp of raw egg yolk over a little bit of food without mixing it, he ate it🙏 do you have an idea how long will it take for the effect to kick in?
No idea. I just watch the litter box for a poop or two before making any adjustments (adding or subtracting.) it’s more of a trial and error here. That’s why myself and white shadow white shadow recommended starting small. A yolk or two a week is an ideal that many cats may not fall into. It’s an ideal because you aren’t having to crack an egg daily and there’s little waste. Many cats will need a far smaller daily amount. That’s why it’s good to see if he likes the taste because now you can make and mix in the powder at much smaller amounts if you get tired of using less than a whole yolk.