Hairballs After Brushing

entlaufene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't brush my cat often because every time I brush her, she brings up a hairball a few hours later. (Last night it was 4 am next to me in bed :bawling:.) I use a knockoff zoom groom, and I try to remove all the loosened hair afterwards with my hand or a comb. She has sensitive skin and hates slicker brushes (I've tried different brands, ones designed for rabbits, you name it, she is biting that thing immediately). I currently only brush her a couple times a month because of this. What can I do to prevent these hairballs?

(By the way, it took a long time to find a brush she would accept, and she likes the knock off zoom groom better than the Kong one. It's a slightly stiffer rubber/plastic than the ZG, I think the brand was Fortunate Pet or something generic sounding. In case anyone else has an attack the brush immediately cat.)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! As I was reading your post, I was reminded of a similar thread I read a while ago on TCS, which I was lucky enough to find again: The Hairball Paradox

Basically, the consensus was that cats may tend to self-groom more after a brushing session, as well as having hairs from the undercoat loosened that makes it easier to swallow more fur while grooming. Laxatone and egg yolk lecithin are popular means of hairball control, but this is also something you can ask your vet about.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dip a flea comb in a bowl of warm water and comb our kitties after brushing them with a ZoomGroom. It doesn't completely eliminate hairballs, but it does seem to help to pick up some of the loose fur after a grooming session.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

entlaufene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm, egg yolk lecithin and a wet comb... I'll try it! Does whole egg yolk have enough lecithin to work, or does it have to be isolated?