Hair loss?

Franklin&Emma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!!

I have a 12 week old kitten and she loses hair in these clumps. I just took her to a vet and they said they may have found very VERY little flea dust on her, but 1) she's on flea medicine 2) I have put flea traps out and have gotten nothing on them for the past 6 days and 3) we adopted her from the shelter 4 weeks ago. They think the flea dust could have been letting her from the shelter maybe, since we have no signs of fleas in our own home? Outside of that, they told me to change her diet from blue Buffalo to a high quality brand and to do something other than chicken. That's been insanely hard to find a kitten dry food that isn't chicken. I settled on Nulo, it's Cod flavor. I'm in the process of switching over her food now, but the vets didn't seem too concerned about it. They also gave me a dewormer just in case. They said if nothing changes in a month, to reassess with them.
We don't really ever see her itching while we're home and with her. But while we're at work during the day, I couldn't tell you if she's itching a bunch or not. It's not like she wakes up from a nap and there's a pile of these clumps. I'll just find 3 or 4 around our bedroom, where she spends most of her day, sort of scattered around the room. Any ideas?
Here is a picture of the hair clump and a picture of her so you can see her coat. She doesn't have any balding or spots. She looks and acts normal to us, but we're still a little concerned.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What a cute little tortie! She already looks as if she is a character. Her general appearance is healthy so I would probably continue on this same treatment that your vet recommended to see if it resolves the issue. They must suspect a chicken allergy as well or as an alternative to the flea question. One of my cats eats Nulo cod and we have not had any problems with it.

The vet probably does think that she is a healthy cat which is why he was not overly concerned at this point. If it continues, I would take her back.....or if this suddenly ramps up into a full blown reaction. Is she healthy otherwise?

Just to put this out there, I have one cat who is allergic or reactive to Revolution, the older formulation. When I put it on her last year, she lost hair in exactly the way that your second pic looks.

The flea problem could have originated at the shelter for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Franklin&Emma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cute little tortie! She already looks as if she is a character. Her general appearance is healthy so I would probably continue on this same treatment that your vet recommended to see if it resolves the issue. They must suspect a chicken allergy as well or as an alternative to the flea question. One of my cats eats Nulo cod and we have not had any problems with it.

The vet probably does think that she is a healthy cat which is why he was not overly concerned at this point. If it continues, I would take her back.....or if this suddenly ramps up into a full blown reaction. Is she healthy otherwise?

Just to put this out there, I have one cat who is allergic or reactive to Revolution, the older formulation. When I put it on her last year, she lost hair in exactly the way that your second pic looks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Franklin&Emma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Yes, she's completely normal! She's her energetic, normal self. I did think it could potentially be stress because we are slowly introduce her to our 1.5 year old cat. So right now they are on separate sides of the house. I also maybe thought this because I never actually see her itching. It just strikes us as odd because when we are home with her, we just don't ever see it!

I didn't even think about an allergy to the flea medicine! I don't know what they put on her in the shelter but we used Advantage for her first dose with us. I still find the hair, but not nearly as much as I used to. I'm hoping once I get her switched over completely to the new food that I won't find any!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise