Growths on cat...won’t go away!!

Sherrybaby77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there... I have a 17 year old cat...
• She has a growth under her chin that is not a pimple, it’s skin all through, that has continued to grow and when I brought her to the vet the only way they can remove it is by sedating her.
Unfortunately she has a heart murmur and the doctor fears if he puts her under she may not wake up.
• A scab like growth on her chest that never seems to heal has had it over a year! Vet gave her a shot for allergies. It never went away.
• Her back paw also has a scab that never seems to heal...again Vet thought it was from allergies but nothing seems to heal it.
• She is a indoor cat
• She started to go blind a couple of months ago due to high blood pressure.
• I give her Amlodipine Besylate, 1/2 of 2.5 MG tablet everyday.
•She does not eat out of plastic bowls only metal.

• I have attached photos so you can see the growths. I don’t know what else to do...any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Has the vet suggested a skin scraping of those spots in order to analyze the tissue? It sounds a lot harsher than it really is, and normally does not require any sedation. If not your vet, perhaps another one that specializes in dermatology might be the way to go?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do understand about not having surgery if the cat might not recover from it; however, you might want to know what those lesions are so that you know what condition might be facing your cat. That might also help with management of them in terms of her comfort if they continue to grow or spread.

And yes, I agree, about skin scraping. It is absolutely no more than that and does not involve removal of any part of a mass and is not a biopsy which is usually more invasive and done with other instruments and sometimes sedation.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have they ever given her Antibiotics and/or steroids to see if these sores improved?

I would definitely get her to a Vet who specialized in dermatological issues. This might be able to be resolved with antibiotics, steroids, or possibly a change to a limited ingredient food.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to use a local sedation? That way she would still be awake and only the required areas would be numb.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible to use a local sedation? That way she would still be awake and only the required areas would be numb.

A local anesthetic would just numb the area but the cat will still be fully conscious and struggle and fight with the staff who is trying to restrain the cat. Injury to both the cat and staff is likely. With a heart murmur condition, all that stress and adrenaline may be too much for the heart to handle. For the safety of everyone, full anesthesia is required.