ground meat

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you buying from a grocery store, or a butcher?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Grocery like whole foods probably package or counter depending on fat content and price

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I try to stay to the lean side, 85% or preferably 90%. Turkey thighs are higher in fat, but, are also higher in taurine.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grocery like whole foods probably package or counter depending on fat content and price
I'm not sure how you'll use the meat (for cooked food?) but no matter what, watch out for added ingredients like rosemary or vinegar, particularly in turkey.

As for fat content, the best advice I've seen is on this page, from EZ Complete. Basically, fairly low.

The meat I buy for cat food is generally pretty low in fat (pork tenderloin, chicken breast, turkey breast) because of the cats' preferences but some of their commercial food is fairly fatty so things tend to balance out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
At whole foods it's 90% ground beef. Doesnt say anything about pork. I'll have to ask also curious about calories,forgot to check. Beef,pork,lamb have more calories? Peaches gobbled up arcane duck pate. Though I would like more variety. I was planning on cooked ground with ez complete. I used to so that but too much work because of my job. Now I'm only scheduled once a week. Thanks!