Groomer smoking question

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Speaking as a groomer- just mention that he smelled of smoke the last time he was in, and a member of your household is sensitive to it. You'd hate to have to switch shops, but a smokey smell is indeed a dealbreaker for you.
A professional shop would want to know.

As far as our shop- anyone who wants to smoke must go outdoors, and that is how it should be IMO. You are paying for a clean cat.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

Speaking as a groomer- just mention that he smelled of smoke the last time he was in, and a member of your household is sensitive to it. You'd hate to have to switch shops, but a smokey smell is indeed a dealbreaker for you.
A professional shop would want to know.

As far as our shop- anyone who wants to smoke must go outdoors, and that is how it should be IMO. You are paying for a clean cat.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitty should come back smelling like flowers, or something pretty! My mom's dog always smells great after being at a groomers. I would follow everyone's advice and just ask about it politely. If it happens again try to find a new groomer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made an appointment for Prego this coming Saturday. I did not say anything to Connie (the groomer) over the phone, but I plan to talk to her when I drop Prego off. I think it's better to talk about that sort of thing in person. I think I will just tell her that it made Prego sneeze and I didn't like the way it made him smell.

Another thing that I forgot to mention before is that I am allergic to cigarrette smoke. I don't want Prego to have it in his fur and it to bother me later. I was so concerned about Prego that I forgot about my allergy.

I think that if I explain all that, they will probably understand. I'll let you know how it goes on Saturday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the groomer. As I suspected, it is not Connie smoking but the owners. She says they are chain smokers. She is a smoker, but doesn't smoke around the animals. Luckily, they aren't going to be there today. She said she would tell them if they are around in the future not to smoke when Prego is there. But I think it might just be easier to ask when I schedule Prego if the owners are going to be there that day, and just schedule him for a day when they will not be there.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It sounds like you may have a workable solution and still get to keep your groomer. Thanks for the update.

noelle&oliver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I worked for a kennel in 2000 for my internship and the owner was ALWAYS smoking inside, as well as the head kennel person. In fact, they would let any employee that smoked, smoke in the biulding. They did light grooming work as well (baths, nail trims, etc) and the woman would even smoke when she was bathing a dog! It was horrible.

You did the right thing in bringing it up with the groomer. Hopefully, more people will complain about the smoke smell (there's got to be others that noticed it on their animals) and they'll stop smoking at the shop all together.