Greasy Ears From Antibiotic Drops

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

My Finn was prescribed ear drops for a yeast infection. While Finn is already feeling much better, the drops are oily and have made the hair around his ears really greasy. Does anyone know a good way to clean up his ears and get rid of the greasiness? I think there is an old thread about this, but there didn't really seem to be anything conclusive on it.

Thanks!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A careful bath, no water in the ears would do the trick, but another option would be cornstarch baby powder - no talc. Liberally sprinkle it (what we call packing the coat) right down to the skin, let sit for a few minutes and then comb or gently blow out. This will help but won't completely remove the oiliness. Caution: Do this in an easily cleaned room as it makes a mess!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is that this oiliness from the yeast infection medication will actually help combat the yeast, even in the areas just outside of the ears, on the hairs, etc. Unless the medicine has "pooled" around the cats' eyes or mouth (in which case I would wipe it away from eyes and mouth), I would just let the medicine stay around the exterior of the ears. Some yeast is not confined to just the interior of the ear, so maybe this medicine is a good thing for however long your vet prescribed it. However, the caveat with my comment is I am not a vet! I just speak from my own experience, as my cat when a kitten had a yeast infection in her left ear, and we tried a variety of medicines.
What did your vet say when you may have asked them about the oily hairs?

ziggystardustxox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this post is quite a few years old, but does anyone have a good solution? My sweet baby Rosie is in the same position as your Finn. She has a yeast infection in her ears due to her allergies. I didn’t even know cats could get yeast infections in their ears!! The vet gave me some drops to put in her ear for a week, we only have a few more days left. I’ve been googling nonstop as the ear drops are making my baby’s ears very oily and her fur doesn’t look as fluffy as it usually does and i cannot wait to figure out a way to clean it out of her fur!!
Any help is appreciated! Trying to hold out on cleaning for another two days, then drops will be complete. :)

thanks in advance!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this post is quite a few years old, but does anyone have a good solution? My sweet baby Rosie is in the same position as your Finn. She has a yeast infection in her ears due to her allergies. I didn’t even know cats could get yeast infections in their ears!! The vet gave me some drops to put in her ear for a week, we only have a few more days left. I’ve been googling nonstop as the ear drops are making my baby’s ears very oily and her fur doesn’t look as fluffy as it usually does and i cannot wait to figure out a way to clean it out of her fur!!
Any help is appreciated! Trying to hold out on cleaning for another two days, then drops will be complete. :)

thanks in advance!
Compared to ear drops for humans to get wax out,there are certain brands that make my ears oily. Of course,drops with oil. I use the one more like water except they make my ears itch bad.