Grain free wet food and constipaton

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I started feeding my cat grain free wet food and it seems to have caused constipation...Can grain free do that??Hes 11 yrs n NEVER been on grain free

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure he's constipated? What are the signs? Are you feeding wet or dry or both?

There is nothing about grain free in and of itself that would cause constipation, it depends on the individual food and its ingredients. However, grain free foods are usually lower in carbs. Lower carbs = less poop because there is less unnecessary plant matter in the food that the cat cannot digest. So it could just be that they are pooping less because they are using more of the food they are eating and have less waste to get rid of. That doesn't mean he's constipated. Actually, it's healthier.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm slowly coming to the opinion that it contributes in a big way. (Needs more thought though tbh but leaning that way.) Then we end up adding fiber to assist.

I'll find my pick tonight from one of my vet 's offices. It's a chart about some misconceptions about cat food ingredients that I'm really beginning to think are a little more accurate than I originally gave them credit for. One part of it had to do with grain-free.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure he's constipated? What are the signs? Are you feeding wet or dry or both?

There is nothing about grain free in and of itself that would cause constipation, it depends on the individual food and its ingredients. However, grain free foods are usually lower in carbs. Lower carbs = less poop because there is less unnecessary plant matter in the food that the cat cannot digest. So it could just be that they are pooping less because they are using more of the food they are eating and have less waste to get rid of.
Wet in morning..and in afternoon...small amounts..thats how hes ALWAYS eat...and at night 1/4 cup dry to tidy him through the nightI just checked ingredients on 2 of the rotation ..just Started him on recently...They have Xanthan Gum...and Guar Gum...I researched it just NOW..n it says one or both of those 2 ingredients can cause digestion problems...And he went for almost 2 days without bm....Til I gave him some pumpkin

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

There is nothing about grain free in and of itself that would cause constipation, it depends on the individual food and its ingredients. However, grain free foods are usually lower in carbs. Lower carbs = less poop because there is less unnecessary plant matter in the food that the cat cannot digest. So it could just be that they are pooping less because they are using more of the food they are eating and have less waste to get rid of.
Its WELLNESS GRAVIES...bits in ample gravy..n nutro perfect portions beef..tuna..n chicken flavor cuts in gravy...Im beginning to think its the 2 ingredients I just posted causing it to affect him..it say when I researched it one or both ingredients could affect a senior cat or cat with already digest problems...

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Guar gum is actually a soluble fiber and would have the same effect as pumpkin. It's actually used to relieve constipation.

What are the signs that he has constipation?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Guar gum is actually a soluble fiber and would have the same effect as pumpkin. It's actually used to relieve constipation.

What are the signs that he has constipation?
He went for like 2 days without bm...Til I gave him some pumpkin...And he went the next day with bm...And this didn't START til I gave him the WELLNESS...N the Nutro...Yea the guar gum slows down digestion it also said...Maybe it slowed it down too much for an 11yr old cat....:oops::rolleyes:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
He went for like 2 days without bm...Til I gave him some pumpkin...And he went the next day with bm...And this didn't START til I gave him the WELLNESS...N the Nutro...
It might just be that his system was getting used to the change in food. I would stop giving pumpkin and see if he stays regular. That way you can know if it is the pumpkin or not.

If you're worried about constipateion, the other thing to do is to increase the wet food and decrease dry. The thing that contributes most to constipation is lack of moisture in diet. Cats actually need very little dietary fiber and it sounds like the foods you're feeding already have more than enough fiber added to them.