good healthy cat food that wont break the budget

gypsyrose85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dh and I had a rough few months so the cats ended up getting....friskies :( I feel so bad expecialy now. Raynas fur is no longer silky smooth, Akachan is shedding like a crazy. I was thinking of getting ether aate of the wild or blue buffalo wildreness. Are there any other good cheap (er) healthy dry foods?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well. . .canned food is better for cats: www.catinfo.org Any way you could get some wet food into their diet? Even canned Friskies is quite acceptable (as canned foods have more meat than dry foods).

As for dry foods, I find that Blue Buffalo is overpriced, at least at the big-box stores. If you can find it at an independent feed store it's usually cheaper. Taste of the Wild is OK and is a good price for a grain-free. If you can find a nice small feed store they are generally very helpful in picking out a decent food within your budget.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or if you MUST feed dry, and have access to Costco, the Kirkland Premium cat food is a good choice, and very reasonably priced.

pezkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just recently started looking into a lot of the natural foods, and some of the smaller companies offer free or low-cost samples from their websites.  Obviously wouldn't last long but might help you through a tough spot.  I just ordered some Life's Abundance & not sure what I'll get but it was only something like $5 so we'll see.

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a brand of food available at Whole Foods markets called Whole Paws.  It comes in the canned and dry and while I have no experience with the canned, it is a wonderful and very inexpensive dry food.  Both my cats adore it and will eat it before they touch the canned Royal Canin that they are offered.  It is complete nutritionally for cats and contains a lot of the extras found in the premium type foods.  It is also natural and does not contain a slew of chemicals and extras.  The bags come in 3.5 pound and 12 pound sizes and the cost where I am is 3.5 pounds for $6.99 and 12 pounds for $18.99.  I cannot look at any of the really good quality foods for that here or online and the vet has given me the thumbs up for this food.  I have a cat who has severe digestive issues and it even works for him.  NO vomiting or bad consequences.