Giardia

Twylie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I just joined this because I love my cats and am in need of help. My female cat was diagnosed with Giardia recently and had to be quarantined from my male cat. They are a bonded pair.

After we took her to the vet, he saw that she was still okay and he acted normal with her. Today was her last day of quarantine. I had rubbed a towel all over her this morning and brought it up to my male cat to try and reintroduce her smell to him. However, when we finally brought her back, out of her little quarantine area, my male cat began growling and hissing like crazy toward her. This has continued throughout the day.

They are a bonded pair, who before this loved on each and played with each other all the time; and I am hoping their bond was not ruined by this parasite. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if your cats ever become best buddies again?

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi

Try this and see if it helps;

From valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.