Getting Former Feral Kittens to Use the Litterbox

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two former feral kittens, between 5-6 wks old. Brother and sister. They have only been here 3.5 days. In those 3.5 days, they started out in a "small" cage, then graduated to our spare bathroom yesterday. In these days, they've yet to use the litterbox. Well, ok, someone peed in it once, but I think it was purely circumstantial. So far they've pooped next to their food bowls, then dumped the food to cover it. They've peed all over their bedding towels. Someone pooped on the cardboard scratcher I gave them last night. I haven't told my cat yet. She won't be happy.

I imagine the first few weeks of these kitty's lives, they've just gone wherever they wanted, since they were outside. But now we need some potty structure if they're ever going to be adopted.

I've picked up the poops and put them in the box. I'm also using a wood pellet type litter, hoping to mimic the wood mulch that the ferals seem to love so much.

Any suggestions? I can't be with them 24 hours a day to watch for signs of getting ready to potty, especially since these two are much more active at night, when we're sleeping.

Thanks

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might want to try a litter like world's best (corn type clumping litter) or even chicken feed (I'm using layer crumbles as litter right now with my feral kittens). I'd use a very small rubbermaid shoebox-type container...I'd also confine them to a bathroom (with hard floors) so that the floor isn't as appealing. With mine, I just had to put them in the box a few times, scratch their paws in it (and scratch my hands in the clean litter)...also seemed to help if I watched them and when they started "sniffing around"/pawing the floor, put them in the box when they were already ready to go...but I must say that mine didn't require much "training" on my part.

I'd also suggust using a odor/stain remover specifically for cat urin/feces odor wherever they have gone inappropriately...that should keep them from going back to the same spot....Also move food and bed as far away from the litter as possible. Nature's miracle is a very good brand and has worked well for me.

HTH,
Art

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
hi!
welcome to TCS! i have a formerly feral kitten who was pooping but not peeing in her box... i got some of the Cat Attract for cats & kittens, & she's been extremely consistent with it ever since. she's even gone in it to throw up, smart girl!

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the cat attract. My kitten Sugar was NOT litter trained when I got her (like I was told). Used the cat attract and now she uses the box PERFECTLY. I have even started adding in some reg cat litter and she still uses it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cat attract litter or sand box sand/soil

pine pellets are not a natural thing cats would find outside, sort of like mulch, but no one uses pine pellets in their landscaping that I know of. So either get actual mulch or try something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gotta say you guys are the best!!!

I've had my fair share of kittens/cats in and out of here, and never had much problem getting even the youngest of tots to use the box. These two were just flat out defiant.

So I went to the pet store after reading everyone's responses this morning, hoping they'd have some cat attract. Surprisingly, they did, and it was only $12.95 for a 20 lb bag of the litter (but I really wanted the additive. oh well)

I couldn't believe it. I brought it home, opened the bag and it looked like plain old clay kitty litter.

But when I put it in the box, and the little girly kitty went over and sniffed, I got all giddy inside. Giddiness left when she got in and started playing in it.
But it came back when she turned a few times, scratched once, and....... SQUATTED!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy. I like immediate results like that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i know, the stuff's just PHENOMENAL! watch out - your grown cats will want to use it, too. you've never seen funny till you see a 15 pound cat trying to use a box sized for a 1 pound kitten - Chip front feet were outside the box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i know, the stuff's just PHENOMENAL! watch out - your grown cats will want to use it, too. you've never seen funny till you see a 15 pound cat trying to use a box sized for a 1 pound kitten - Chip front feet were outside the box!
That visual is even funnier (the thought of my big cat using the kitten box) because I'm using a ferret corner box for the kittens. So it's tiny. She'd never fit her fat arse in there. I know most people recommend small pans (like low sided roaster pans, etc) for kittens but I love my ferret corner boxes, and they've always worked wonderfully for young kittens and they have low sides in the front.

But....my big kitty Bird would never use their box. To do so, she'd have to sneak past the eeeevil kittens first. And that's never gonna happen. She gives whole new meaning to "Scaredy cat"

I just wanna know what they put in this stuff.

I'm sure it wouldn't be in the company's best interest to give away their secret though.