Getting Comfy... Outdoors?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible for me to desensitize Felix to outside? I just came back from the vet and all the outside noises scare him. Especially people on the bus. If I bought him a stroller (for animals) and walked him around outside more, would he become more comfortable or would that just stress him out? He does enjoy going out in the backyard in the summer and watching the birds but that's about as far as I can go with him.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you need to make the stroller his safe place before you think of taking him out. Get him comfortable in it inside the house first, then in your garden. Once he is comfortable, a short distance outside of your home and increase slowely. Let him do it in his own time, dont force it. He might settle quickly but it could also take a while.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not exactly the same situation, but when I first went away on holiday we made sure the garden was familiar for Toffee and Fudge as it's where they would be spending most of their time when my neighbour (who was giving them company and feeding them during our absence) since we hadn't yet installed a cat flap at the time; we put down familiar objects in the garden such as a blanket we had been using so it had our scent on it, and some of their toys from inside. Perhaps putting a favourite toy or something familiar from indoors or you in the garden would help Felix familiarise himself with the garden again?
Perhaps you could also spend some time outside if you have the free time yourself, and he may want to come outside and see what you're doing?
Agree to stick with your garden first, though.