Getting A Outdoor Cat To Use An Automatic Box With Crystals?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think this is behavior. I'm looking for tips. My mom has a semi-feral who uses the yards as a litter box but when confined to a room he had no issues using a litterbox with clumping litter. So finally after years of trying to get her to agree to keep him at night, she bought a new automatic litter box with crystals in it. I know it is just a case of ignoring him and getting him used to being in at night. What can be done to get him to use the box? When I stick him in it, he panics a little and jumps right out.

Would unplugging the automatic part for now help?

Should he get used to clumping litter in the new box first? Or try mixing the clumping with the crystal litter? (It has a pad underneath it that absorbs the cat pee.... but pick your battles and all that.) Any ideas to help this semi-feral boy transfer to a house cat with day time outdoor access?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's an article that might have some tips: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

As for the litter box, I think keeping it turned off till he gets used to it is a good idea. Let him get comfortable with being inside and all the strange noises first. Your Mom definitely doesn't want any litter box avoidance issues. And tell her, thanks, for caring for, and bringing him inside at night. :petcat: :catlove: :heartshape: