Getting a new cat/moving

sarahlu78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me again! I have so many questions.

Okay, so I have Mamie. She's 7 months old, I've had her for 5 months now. She is a skittish cat---very affectionate and sweet, but gets easily overstimulated and goes through phases of not wanting to be held or sometimes even touched. She strikes me as being pretty needy, too, which I'm sure is a result of me spoiling her silly.

I want to get another cat. Partly because I think Mamie is lonely and bored during the day. BUT, the complication here is that I plan on moving cross-country (from Massachusetts to California) in September. Mamie and I are going to hop into a U-Haul and see the world!

My question is: should I wait until I've made the move to get another cat? Or will that be too much trauma all at once for poor high-strung Mamie--new apartment AND a new cat? Or is it crazy to consider moving two young cats? When will the adjustment be easiest, do you think?

And once I do adopt, I would love to get an older cat. But I'm not sure what age--I want to find a cat that will be a good match with Mamie. There are just so many older cats out there who need to be adopted.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if this were my situation I would wait, having to deal with one cat going thru the stress of moving is plenty, Im sure there are plenty of adoptable cats where you are going. I hate moving, don't you?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another advantage of waiting till you're settled in your new place is that Mamie will be a bit older, and maybe more compatible with an adult cat.
We have senior cats here, mind you, but they wont go near Chester. I think his energy is too much for cats who just want to sleep all day.
You'll also have a better feel for her "grown up" personality, which can change when the kitten gets a bit older, and more comfortable, which means you can match her much better when looking for your new "furbaby" (my first use of furbaby!).
Good luck on the move, my biggest advice, get Mamie used to the car and travelling! it will make the move MUCH less stressfull for both of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahlu78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that's true about her being more compatible with an older cat later on. she HATES the car. i'm really not looking forward to being trapped with her for several days. but...she can't yowl the whole time, right? right?!?!

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
another vote for waiting till you complete the move. mamie will be older, and you'll face less complications during intruductions.

on another note, how long is the drive from MA to CA???

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
apparently she can. My aunt and uncle moved from their place in Ontario to BC a number of years back, and they had 2 siamese cats, a newborn and a pair of twins the age of 2. I can't imagine what that week of driving must have been like!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah, First let me say that Maime is a cute cute kitty and her personality sounds JUST like my Ebony. Eb was so skittish when we got her, but now just just loves us so much, is needy, and when she is in "kitten mode" can't stand to be petted or held (Ebony is 8 months).

I too was intent on adopted a second cat and I am moving (not too far away however), in June. I went through the same debate as you and as you can see I went for the other camp and adopted before our move. My hope is that Ebony and her new sister Lilly (who is older - about 3), can become friends before our move and then have a friend to help them through the trauma of moving.

Thus far, Lilly has been with us only 2 weeks, is EXTREMELY shy and Ebony isn't intent on becoming friends with her soon. My hope now is that they get along before our move.

Its a hard decision for you to make. But since you are moving across the country, I would probably go with everyone else and say wait until after you are settled in your new place. You don't want to run the risk of Maime and "new kitty" not getting along and then having to take both of them across the country in a uhaul.

Keep us posted on your thoughts and what you decide.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having already moved cross-country with two cats (one 10-yr old, one 2-yr old) years ago without carriers, I vote for waiting, too. I think Mamie will adapt better because she is so young, and you'll have time to get her prepped and ready. And there are always tranquilizers if that doesn't work

I've been looking for advice on moving my two cross-country this summer, and the thought of fitting TWO carriers in a U-haul (along w/another driver AND a guinea pig in a carrier) is rather daunting - another good reason to wait to adopt. Besides, there will be lots of kitties looking for a furever home when you are settled in and ready. Give Mamie some time to settle into her new home and she'll be more accepting of a new furry friend!

Good Luck on your move - hope you're not moving during high summer - even the A/C in the U-haul isn't sufficient when you're driving into the westering sun at interstate speeds with a full load in tow!!!!

sarahlu78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RarePuss

another vote for waiting till you complete the move. mamie will be older, and you'll face less complications during intruductions.

on another note, how long is the drive from MA to CA???
i agree, it might be a REALLY bad idea to put two cats who don't know each other into a small space for a week.

i'm going with my mom, and we're going to take our time, so i'm thinking a week or ten days.

sarahlu78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

apparently she can. My aunt and uncle moved from their place in Ontario to BC a number of years back, and they had 2 siamese cats, a newborn and a pair of twins the age of 2. I can't imagine what that week of driving must have been like!
oh my god. that must have been horrible! she is going to haaate me.

sarahlu78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by berylayn

Sarah, First let me say that Maime is a cute cute kitty and her personality sounds JUST like my Ebony. Eb was so skittish when we got her, but now just just loves us so much, is needy, and when she is in "kitten mode" can't stand to be petted or held (Ebony is 8 months).

I too was intent on adopted a second cat and I am moving (not too far away however), in June. I went through the same debate as you and as you can see I went for the other camp and adopted before our move. My hope is that Ebony and her new sister Lilly (who is older - about 3), can become friends before our move and then have a friend to help them through the trauma of moving.

Thus far, Lilly has been with us only 2 weeks, is EXTREMELY shy and Ebony isn't intent on becoming friends with her soon. My hope now is that they get along before our move.

Its a hard decision for you to make. But since you are moving across the country, I would probably go with everyone else and say wait until after you are settled in your new place. You don't want to run the risk of Maime and "new kitty" not getting along and then having to take both of them across the country in a uhaul.

Keep us posted on your thoughts and what you decide.
thank you! it's nice to know you're in the same boat. yes, mamie is a sweetie, but i'm hoping she will mellow as she gets older.

as it stands now, i feel like i'm leaning towards waiting, because the potential for distaster is so high!