Full Term Pregnant Kitty No Fetal Movement

Brandifarmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve acquired 2 very sweet cats from a family member. The female is pregnant and since I’ve been able to feel and see fetal movement for two weeks I’m pretty sure she’s “ready”. Last night I noticed that the one active kitten that I’m alway able to easily feel and see had moved inward, downward? I’m not sure of the terminology. This morning I can’t find any. She hasn’t had them. Her stomach is firm still. Have they dropped or passed away? She’s acting normal, no pain. I haven’t seen her eat yet this morning but her appetite has decreased over the past day or so. She eats small amounts. Her glands have grown but no milk yet and she has 5, yes 5, nesting places to choose from. My bedroom is very large and she has lots of favorite places so I wanted to cover my bases. I even cleaned out and lined a cabinet for her with a door propped open just enough for her in case she wanted more privacy. She’s extremely affectionate. I know it has to be any day now but I’m just not sure when because I don’t know when she got pregnant but from what I understand it was approximately 2 months ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brandifarmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also add the other kitty is fixed now and she will be as well after we get through this pregnancy. I had no intention of letting any of my animals reproduce. All the others are fixed. I’m in my late thirties and I’ve had animals all my life and in my adult life this is my first animal pregnancy. (Other than a few frisky fish. Lol)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Brandifarmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like the kittens have “dropped” down near the birth canal in preparation for labor and delivery. As you said, any day now!

Not all cats get milk before delivery, and if not, it comes in right away when the kittens are born.

You’ll soon have some adorable kittens in your life. Enjoy! :)

Here are some helpful links in the meantime:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Keep us posted!
Thank you. I felt movement so that makes me feel better. I got some strong kicks so my worries are lessened. She is sleeping a lot. I wouldn’t describe it as lethargic. The little while that she is up she plays and jumps and seems happy. I assume this means we aren’t too terribly close since I’ve read they are very anxious pacing before labor? Knowing my luck she’ll have them thanksgiving during lunch time when I’m at my moms and not home. LOL

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s normal to see and feel less movement towards the end. The kittens are bigger and once they drop down they have even less room to maneuver.

She sounds like she is doing well. I fretted about my cat having her kittens while I was at work, but she went into labor on a Saturday and delivered them on a Sunday morning.

Brandifarmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a time frame after they have dropped for labor to start? Just curious.

Brandifarmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m 99.9% sure. She had a serious “football” look going on and now it’s all under her legs.

Brandifarmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was around 620 this morning. Maybe just one kitten but will have to wait and see. Momma has eaten been to the litter box and is now napping. She’s feeding and cleaning baby as she should. Thank y’all for all your help!!!