From scavenger to picky

khayos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to cry.

Princess has always been a cat that would eat anything edible. We've had her for a couple years now. Senior cat. Raw fed for almost two yrs.

I recently made the mistake of feeding turkey. A lot of turkey. She decided that's ALL she wanted to eat. Not acceptable. So I cut it all really fine and mixed smaller amounts of other food in.

She's okay again!

No, not really. Kidney has now gone off the menu. *sigh* oh and chicken. Won't eat kidney of any kind and to heck with chicken. She used to love chicken.

How do you handle cats that do this?? I feel so stressed out about it now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With a senior cat I would get a blood panel done at the vet something may be going wrong or starting to go wrong

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it can be frustrating, especially after buying a whole case of some wet food to find your cat now hates that flavor. Cats get more and less picky at random, they are very fickle creatures sometimes. Really there's nothing you can do, except avoid kidney and chicken for a while and try your luck again when she has maybe forgotten how those taste.

If it's more a concern of her getting the nutrients from kidney and chicken right away, you could try withholding turkey and try to give her a plate of nothing but chicken and kidney for her next meal after that. That's similar to the way I got one of my cats to switch over to a half wet/half dry diet; I had to withhold a meal of dry for him to get hungry enough to try the wet (he had been on full dry at he shelter his whole life and didn't understand food comes in more forms than kibble). It worked, and now he loves his wet food.