From feral cat to domesticated cat - Progress

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful story tarasgirl06.
Amazingly , she still thought every human could still be her friend. During covid when you had to wait outside during your cat's visit, the vet called me and said I'm here sitting with Zoey on my lap, what a sweetheart.
Cats are very sensitive and intuitive. Some "experts" think they are more of each than humans. I definitely agree.
Thanks. He stayed with us for awhile as he healed. He was a very sweet little guy!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, he is a brave cutie! We are surprised how fast he is getting used to his environment. ;) How were you able to get the feral tom cats to be accustomed to your touch? Did you use some sort of touch stick in the beginning?
No, I just started by slow-blinking them. Once they were regularly returning that, I began to extend my hand towards them, being CAREFUL to never come from above, but from their level (and that, with my health issues, was a real commitment!), and VERY SLOOOOOOOOWLY moved nearer and nearer. Once I got a nose bump from the bravest of them, I carefully stroked the top of his head. LOL, he was SO shocked at how good it felt that he backed off for a day or two, but then just HAD to solicit another touch. The other two learned by watching him. "What manner of sorcery is this? Oh, it DOES feel good! Yes, this is fine."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! I always say large/adult/mature cats are every bit as cute/irresistible/adorable as kittens, but in a larger size. Almost all of the cats in my life have been rescued from "the streets" and those who haven't have been adult/mature cats. I've never gone looking for kittens. Two locations ago, my ex and I funded the casting of a little guy who sustained an injury because of a screen door. His family weren't wealthy and we weren't either, but we were in a position to help, and we did so. That little guy healed and hopefully never had any trouble with doors after that.
It's interesting because I myself was never into kittens, I'm afraid I might accidentally step on them or crush them with a furniture. They seem soooo tiny and vulnerable :( Plus having adult cats, I have more fur and body to massage on :yess: Lucky for the little guy that you helped with the injury, even if we are not wealthy, we do what we can to help animals too. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, I just started by slow-blinking them. Once they were regularly returning that, I began to extend my hand towards them, being CAREFUL to never come from above, but from their level (and that, with my health issues, was a real commitment!), and VERY SLOOOOOOOOWLY moved nearer and nearer. Once I got a nose bump from the bravest of them, I carefully stroked the top of his head. LOL, he was SO shocked at how good it felt that he backed off for a day or two, but then just HAD to solicit another touch. The other two learned by watching him. "What manner of sorcery is this? Oh, it DOES feel good! Yes, this is fine."
Aww, they yielded to the grips of their fears, knowing that the human strokes at the end were truly priceless. :clap:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting because I myself was never into kittens, I'm afraid I might accidentally step on them or crush them with a furniture. They seem soooo tiny and vulnerable :( Plus having adult cats, I have more fur and body to massage on :yess: Lucky for the little guy that you helped with the injury, even if we are not wealthy, we do what we can to help animals too. :redheartpump:
They are most beloved of me. My neighbors were really good, loving people and they appreciated our help so much. I still have gifts they gave me to thank us for helping their little mancatto.