Friendly stray late kitten outside my house. thinking of giving her a forever home. how can i gauge if Rivel will accept her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Use your room or if Rivel is fine with her but the kitten is scared, create a few hiding spots for her. A large box tipped on its side and covered partially with a blanket would work. That way the kitten can have her own safe space to observe and can come and go as she feels comfortable.
The thing is if i close the room completely and i am outside she cries, if i go in and close it completely, rivel cries (gosh these girls) so i left it ajar and watch tv outside. It's good when they are asleep they would be in their respective rooms, but when not, well, i just tried opening the door ajar slightly so she can peek outisde and vice versa.

They didn't hiss to each other for a while until the kitten explore too near rivel and she started hissing.
IMG_20201209_210349.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some hissing is perfectly okay. It’s just their way of telling one another to stay away. As long as there isn’t actually fighting they are okay .

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some hissing is perfectly okay. It’s just their way of telling one another to stay away. As long as there isn’t actually fighting they are okay .
What about growling? Rivel is mostly the offender. I am worried about Rivel too. What if she got too stressed? Will she just come around after a few days?

The kitty didnt hiss back anymore

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are clearly ready to work stuff out on their own, and you can't do a real intro process due to your space anyways. They are young, they will work it out and be friends. You just need to ignore the tension as they do it.

I get it, you are skeptical because you want to spare them the unpleasantness. But you really can't. Most great cat friendships started with hissing, growling and stare downs.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are clearly ready to work stuff out on their own, and you can't do a real intro process due to your space anyways. They are young, they will work it out and be friends. You just need to ignore the tension as they do it.

I get it, you are skeptical because you want to spare them the unpleasantness. But you really can't. Most great cat friendships started with hissing, growling and stare downs.
Yeah. Thanks for the assurance. I guess i was a little naive for expecting a super smooth transition. It's a big changes in the lives of the 3 of us i guess. Like when you move in with a girlfriend even you'd encounter some problems inevitably. Pretty much as long as claws stay sheathed they're fine right?

I got a friend tomorrow as a semi cat sitter when i go to work tomorrow. She is just gonna watch if they fight or not, at least i can relax a little bit until weekend.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing and growling are totally normal, to be expected actually. Even some swatting would be normal. Words to live by when dealing with mutliple Cats, "No fur, no blood, no problem." They're both young so as long as they aren't actively beating the crap out of eachother they'll be fine.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like things are going well from the picture. As long as each has a way to escape the other, things should be ok. Sibling rivalry is to be expected.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pretty much the hissing happens most often at mealtime. I do separate their meal location for now at least, but while preparing both cats love to wait near me so one took that other want to take their food maybe.

Well i will try locking the kitten in my room when it's mealtime and preparing. I will feed rivel first, then the kitten. She will probably cry loudly but it'll be like 10 minutes tops so she'll be fine.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only real problem I see for you is that you have to get more vigilant about the escapes or you'll end up training an escape master like my Clyde.