Fresh grounded bone or bone meal?

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to transition my cats from commercial frozen raw meat to a homemade one and, before investing on a Tasin 108 ( + cleaning supplies+ shipping = nearly $190-200), I need to know if I should use freshly grounded bone or meal bone?!
Which one is nutritionally best and well digested?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciate, thanks :wavey:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason you are feeding it ground at all?  I honestly don't know which would be better, I just feed bone in meats but fresh always sounds healthier to me. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well...somehow I'm afraid either they crack their theeth or/and choke on a bigger piece of bone; my 7 years old cat has a front canine slightly chipped and he also tend to swallow bigger pieces...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of mine, Wilda, has only three teeth (a canine and two back teeth) and handles chunks of meat easily.  I cut it up into a swallowable size so that she has that choice.  She will hold the meat down a front paw and tear at it. 

For bones, I smash the bone-in things with a hammer or mallet, cut it into small chunks, and she has no problem finishing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am planning on giving them chunks of meat but the bones are the part that scares me. Hopefully in the near future I'll be giving them some meaty bones too....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm transitioning to raw. I'm using commercial food for the transition, but my longer term plan is to go Frankenprey. Once they are eating and enjoying the commercial raw... I see no reason to feed it ground. I'd be afraid of losing too much taurine and arginine from oxidation (unless you plan to grind before each meal?). I don't have the same flash-freezing equipment the manufacturers do. :lol3: Introducing bones is something I've yet to do, but I expect I'll start small... quail sounds good. :lol3:

If you want an "inbetween" solution, have you seen the already-prepped mixes from Hare Today (Meat/bone/organ mixes)? They also sell a supplement, so it's kind of between making homemade and commercial. https://www.hare-today.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=f87b70e904bb883c059cf19c6b765445

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: