Fox Or A Coyote In Our Backyard!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm freaking out, panic attack!
I live in Thiells NY and at 5:30 a.m i heard this weird sound, it woke me up. I thought it was our 2 cats fighting or one had a hairball. I walk downstairs and see one cat, not the other. I look out back and there was a fox or a coyote. I think it was a fox. My one cat was watching out the window and they both acted strange, and were scared.
I got so nervous bc we have 1 outdoor cat that is 3 years old and we are bringing him in soon. Just need money for getting him fixed and shots and get the room in place
This fox, was on our deck making wierd noise and looking under our deck and kept looking under deck. Our outdoor cat has a house on our deck and goes under the deck alot. I freaked bc i didnt know if the fox injured our cat so I went out back and tried to scare it off. Finally left and few seconds later our cat came on deck from under our deck. Im afraid the fox will come back and our cat will get bitten or worse. Say prayers for Roz please and me bc im so scared.
Any advice on bringing a 3yr d, very afraid feral. The 2 inside are his brothers. They are 2 and have been inside dec 2018. Roz was aggressive when they use to hang out. He isnt fixed. How do we know if he will be aggressive towards our 2 cats. How do we slowly get them near each other. We have a room and thought to take the door off and put a screen door so they can see each other and smell.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Bring him into the room and go from there. This is an emergency for that outdoor cat. Coyotes are very common around here and the true ferals go missing all the time.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think nature may have moved up your timetable a bit. This is something I wouldn't mess around with or wait. Fox or coyote - the outcome is likely the same. We live in the suburbs of a small city, and we've always seen deer, etc. I've lived in this house over 20 years now, and had never seen a fox or coyote, but suddenly coyotes and foxes are becoming a much more common sight. Humans have pushed them out of their regular feeding areas - so they're forced to move into areas more populated with people. In our neighborhood alone, last year 3 people lost dogs (small onrd - one was a pomeranian, the other two were small mixes - all 3 were taken out of fenced yards!). We've also had a rash of indoor/outoor and feral/semi-ferals kitties go missing - - -the assumption is it's either the coyotes or the foxes. Unfortunately - this won't go away, as humans continue to fight these guys for resources.They're probably looking for small prey - mice, etc. (You haven't had a mom cat have kittens under your deck, have yo? That's definitely a prime "kitten birthing spot." You might look - - -they'd be VERY quiet, so you'd actually have to go out with w/a flashlight and get down on your hands and knees and look).

So bottom line - - -since you were already intending to bring him in shortly (YEAH!!!! :heartshape:) I'd get him in right away. Especially since you've already got a room he can have to himself as he's socialized into the family!! Which is wonderful!!!!!!!!! I can write more later that's more specific if need be, but the biggest key on socializing him with your current guys is SLOW SLOW SLOW and SLOWER!!!!! Most people jump the gun with introduces, feeding and playing - - -- they have one good encounter (like a head butt or two at the screen door) and think it's time to let the new one out full time.. but it's SO much harder to "put the genie back in the bottle" that I'd keep them apart for quite a bit, doing very slow introductions. The screen door is an excellent way to help with slow intros - - -we do that, and have had alot of success. But we start with the door closed for several days, so that they can sniff each other under it, etc. We also "scent swap" - - putting a few things with your new guy that your original guys have slept on (blanket, cat bed, etc.), and vice versa. We then move to feeding each side closer and closer to the (closed) door...and when all can eat right up next to the door without growling, etc., we fix the door so it cant open more than an inch - - just enough to get noses up to for good sniffing! If that goes well, in a few days we open the door enough that they can alllllmmmmmooost get their paws but not quite. Again - if all's well for a few days - - I'd then open the screen door all of the way. Again - slow slow slow. Each step should take at least a few days!

Oh - and importantly - - - VERY importantly --- stop, do not pass go, and neuter him IMMEDIATELY! I wouldn't even bring him in - I'd go straight from catching him to taking him to the vet. He'll be less jumpy, hormonal, and territorial! Plus there's the added bonus of NOT having to catch him AGAIN once he's inside!

A few links I've found helpful over the years, and often show people are below:

How to Socialize a Kitten

5 Ways to Help a Semi-Feral Cat Adjust to a Domestic Home - Modern Cat

Feral Cat Caretakers' Coalition: Agreements

Furballsmom Furballsmom gave some great links -- definitely take a look at them too!!!!!

Keep us posted - - you can do this!!!!! And think how happy and "non-nervous"- you'll both be once he's in, safe and sound,snap a fefelin

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm freaking out, panic attack!
I live in Thiells NY and at 5:30 a.m i heard this weird sound, it woke me up. I thought it was our 2 cats fighting or one had a hairball. I walk downstairs and see one cat, not the other. I look out back and there was a fox or a coyote. I think it was a fox. My one cat was watching out the window and they both acted strange, and were scared.
I got so nervous bc we have 1 outdoor cat that is 3 years old and we are bringing him in soon. Just need money for getting him fixed and shots and get the room in place
This fox, was on our deck making wierd noise and looking under our deck and kept looking under deck. Our outdoor cat has a house on our deck and goes under the deck alot. I freaked bc i didnt know if the fox injured our cat so I went out back and tried to scare it off. Finally left and few seconds later our cat came on deck from under our deck. Im afraid the fox will come back and our cat will get bitten or worse. Say prayers for Roz please and me bc im so scared.
Any advice on bringing a 3yr d, very afraid feral. The 2 inside are his brothers. They are 2 and have been inside dec 2018. Roz was aggressive when they use to hang out. He isnt fixed. How do we know if he will be aggressive towards our 2 cats. How do we slowly get them near each other. We have a room and thought to take the door off and put a screen door so they can see each other and smell.
I understand your concern. We live in the woods with lots of wild animals. I just recently brought our stray cat inside. Fortunately we have a large spare bathroom that I set up for him. He’s very happy and comfortable.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foxes will usually not mess with a reasonably-sized adult cat, because they're only 10-15 pounds under all that fluff and a big cat can beat them up. But you never know; they are opportunists. Coyotes are definitely a threat to cats. So, yeah, I'd bring him in right away.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of a fox attacking a cat. I have a fox that comes in once in a while to eat and he is afraid of the cats. Coyotes are a different story though, they definitely kill cats. Was it red or grey? Foxes have black legs, very busy rails with a big white tip.