Fostering

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our local SPCA is in need of foster care for moms with kittens. I think we are going to do it.
Does anyone else foster? Any stories or suggestions? Not sure how I will be able to give that mom away at the end.......I know babies will be adopted quick, but I will have a hard time giving the mama up!

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've fostered moms and kittens basically non-stop since Feburary this year. Have a momma upstairs at the moment actually. No babies at this time though!

I have about a billion stories from mastitis to premature births (2 litter ago my littest baby came out at 59 grams and was unable to suck and swallow at the same time) to death and destruction.

Down sides - it's ridiculously stressful. More than I ever imagine. It's like a russian roulette game with the gun pointed at the kitten and you're desperately trying to not let the trigger be pulled. With a feeling that people are watching and juding the whole time. Good times! Oy. If you have your own cats you'll likely stress about them too. Even with the best quarantine practices your resident cat can get sick. Sometimes with some really ANNOYING things.

It's also super time consuming. Even babies with their moms can take HOURS every day in the "right" circumstances. My little premie girl and I spent HOURS keeping her alive long enough for her brain and body to catch up. (I do have a more than full time job as well, so that gets interesting sometimes). Litterbox training weeks are delightful!! <<sarcasm font there>>. It's like have 7 small puppies running around peeing and pooping everywhere.

It can be heartbreaking. Taking in neonates is NO JOKE. They have no immune system, no vaccinations, no way to fend for themseleves. Accidents and illness and just plain nature can happen and the consequences are often devestating.

It can also be EXPENSIVE depending on the organization you foster for. I spent hundreds on just gas and tolls for my last litter. Add in quality kitten food to feed a pregnant or nursing mom and 5-7 kittens and YIKES!

Upsides - there is NO feeling like getting to the other side of a litter. The emense joy and pride and relief (LOL) when the last one heads out the door cannot be understated. Cannot be understated. It's the teue knowledge that had you not been there they would not be here.

It's never dull! And for me, this is in a good way. Im always getting to solve problems and sort out issues and care for things that need and appreciate it. There are adoption events and kitty mixers and picture taking and bio writing! All for the common goal of raising a great litter and finding them a great home.

Kittens!!! 4-6.5 week old kittens are the BEST entertainment. A sugary sweet, pile of 4.5 week old kittens in your lap is the thing peace is made from. I've lost many an hour watching and socializing kittens when I planned to do something else cause it's so fun you can't stop.

Momma cats! I LOVE momma cats. I love to watch them and their love for their babies. The relationship between a momma and her babied can be an incredible experience and almost always makes my heart positively GLOW. Plus, you get to take care of her! I love spoiling my moms. :-)

I have zero desire to keep my mommas and have only ever kept 2 fosters in my life (I'm pretty new to neonates, but have done dogs and cats and puppies and reptiles for years). They were planned from the beginning though and I have no desire to keep any more kittens. So, I can't help there. :-) I've also never had a momma cat more than 12 hours longer than her babies. And even she was adopted before any of her babies. I just asked to keep her until the babies left.

I have almost never regretted getting into fostering (almost never is because my last litter was a NIGHTMARE of epic proportions. There were times then that I regretted it for sure). I will also continue to foster for the foreseeable future and will continue to foster moms and babies! Because, despite the downsides, I love it and I feel a responsibility to help.

Long and rambling but hopefully it helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've fostered moms and kittens basically non-stop since Feburary this year. Have a momma upstairs at the moment actually. No babies at this time though!

I have about a billion stories from mastitis to premature births (2 litter ago my littest baby came out at 59 grams and was unable to suck and swallow at the same time) to death and destruction.

Down sides - it's ridiculously stressful. More than I ever imagine. It's like a russian roulette game with the gun pointed at the kitten and you're desperately trying to not let the trigger be pulled. With a feeling that people are watching and juding the whole time. Good times! Oy. If you have your own cats you'll likely stress about them too. Even with the best quarantine practices your resident cat can get sick. Sometimes with some really ANNOYING things.

It's also super time consuming. Even babies with their moms can take HOURS every day in the "right" circumstances. My little premie girl and I spent HOURS keeping her alive long enough for her brain and body to catch up. (I do have a more than full time job as well, so that gets interesting sometimes). Litterbox training weeks are delightful!! <<sarcasm font there>>. It's like have 7 small puppies running around peeing and pooping everywhere.

It can be heartbreaking. Taking in neonates is NO JOKE. They have no immune system, no vaccinations, no way to fend for themseleves. Accidents and illness and just plain nature can happen and the consequences are often devestating.

It can also be EXPENSIVE depending on the organization you foster for. I spent hundreds on just gas and tolls for my last litter. Add in quality kitten food to feed a pregnant or nursing mom and 5-7 kittens and YIKES!

Upsides - there is NO feeling like getting to the other side of a litter. The emense joy and pride and relief (LOL) when the last one heads out the door cannot be understated. Cannot be understated. It's the teue knowledge that had you not been there they would not be here.

It's never dull! And for me, this is in a good way. Im always getting to solve problems and sort out issues and care for things that need and appreciate it. There are adoption events and kitty mixers and picture taking and bio writing! All for the common goal of raising a great litter and finding them a great home.

Kittens!!! 4-6.5 week old kittens are the BEST entertainment. A sugary sweet, pile of 4.5 week old kittens in your lap is the thing peace is made from. I've lost many an hour watching and socializing kittens when I planned to do something else cause it's so fun you can't stop.

Momma cats! I LOVE momma cats. I love to watch them and their love for their babies. The relationship between a momma and her babied can be an incredible experience and almost always makes my heart positively GLOW. Plus, you get to take care of her! I love spoiling my moms. :-)

I have zero desire to keep my mommas and have only ever kept 2 fosters in my life (I'm pretty new to neonates, but have done dogs and cats and puppies and reptiles for years). They were planned from the beginning though and I have no desire to keep any more kittens. So, I can't help there. :-) I've also never had a momma cat more than 12 hours longer than her babies. And even she was adopted before any of her babies. I just asked to keep her until the babies left.

I have almost never regretted getting into fostering (almost never is because my last litter was a NIGHTMARE of epic proportions. There were times then that I regretted it for sure). I will also continue to foster for the foreseeable future and will continue to foster moms and babies! Because, despite the downsides, I love it and I feel a responsibility to help.

Long and rambling but hopefully it helps.

Thank you so much for this!!!! This is all excellent information to know!
The mamas I’d be fostering would have already had their babies, so at least that removes the labour and delivery part of it! The spca here also covers all food, litter and vet costs.....so for me it would just be the gas driving to and from the vet which isn’t a big deal for me.
We are going on Monday to find out more and to talk about it.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this!!!! This is all excellent information to know!
The mamas I’d be fostering would have already had their babies, so at least that removes the labour and delivery part of it! The spca here also covers all food, litter and vet costs.....so for me it would just be the gas driving to and from the vet which isn’t a big deal for me.
We are going on Monday to find out more and to talk about it.
I think that's a great idea! Getting a mom with babies already born is a great way to start the game. If nothing else you'll know whether she is a good mom or not. 99% of cats are, but that 1% can be tough!

In truth, the older the kittens the easier too. They are more resilient, can receive more meds if they are sick, and are less fragile. Also, just as an FYI, the nicer the mom the nicer the babies. Mean or scared moms tend to wind up with (less) mean and scared babies. They can be a little tougher to get adopted (not sure if your shelter does foster until they are adopted or if you have a return date) but are also fun to help turn around.

This site is AMAZING for info so I hope you post when you get them. I lurk 99.99% of the time but I really look forward to hearing about your experience. :-)

I'm sure others with more experience than me will come give their 2 cents too! I'm still a bit of a noob so take it for what it's worth. :-)

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did the meeting go yesterday?
It went really well.....I didn’t come home with a mom and kittens but I did adopt our third cat, Tea! Lol. Wasn’t totally planned but I just couldn’t leave him there!
She took my number down and said that usually fosters are called an on emergency basis (so you pretty much drop everything and go pick up your mom and babies!). She has my number and will call, but I won’t start fostering until Tea is 100% integrated and our house is settled again!

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL! Well, I didnt expect that outcome. Any pics of your new boy? Glad he got a good home with you and good luck in the future if you do decide to foster.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL! Well, I didnt expect that outcome. Any pics of your new boy? Glad he got a good home with you and good luck in the future if you do decide to foster.
This is Tea! Lol. Not sure If we will change his name. It used to be Stormy....but I thought Tea was cute since I LOVE tea

Attachments