Fostering a pregnant mama cat

moosfostermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive been fostering Mooberry for just over 2 weeks. I have been able to feel ger babies kicking since the first day or 2 of having her. I feel like she has to be close to labor but today it seems like the kicking stopped and she kind of feels a little less 'full' is this normal? I read that it could be the babies have moved to a 'birthing position' but it just seems odd that she seems smaller today. Thoughts?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ive been fostering Mooberry for just over 2 weeks. I have been able to feel ger babies kicking since the first day or 2 of having her. I feel like she has to be close to labor but today it seems like the kicking stopped and she kind of feels a little less 'full' is this normal? I read that it could be the babies have moved to a 'birthing position' but it just seems odd that she seems smaller today. Thoughts?
Ah, yes. its going along the manual. You describe it perfectly. she has "dropped". Delivery should thus come in about 2 days.

Please continue report and come with any more questions you have!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moosfostermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, yes. its going along the manual. You describe it perfectly. she has "dropped". Delivery should thus come in about 2 days.

Please continue report and come with any more questions you have!
I have not noticed any milk leaking from her yet I'm concerned if he is that close why isn't she making milk yet. I got milk replacement just in case the babies need that if she is unable to make it

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have not noticed any milk leaking from her yet I'm concerned if he is that close why isn't she making milk yet. I got milk replacement just in case the babies need that if she is unable to make it
The milk comes often very late. Its quite seldom there is no milk even after delivery.
But the wise owner / caretaker does as you do: has some kmr or goats milk home, to not be defenceless IF. Later on its easy to buy a bigger package, but its wise to have SOMETHING to start with.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So last night I noticed that she was breathing quickly short quick breaths for like an hour and I thought that she was in labor but then it just stopped and now she's normal again
Could be Braxton Hick contractions, although they usually comes earlier, before the dropping. Now after she has dropped, we wait on labor, or at least, the early phases of labor - theyse may be long.
Its the pushing phase which should be short.

I hope for the best, but if its interrupted labor, it may become touchy...

How is your vet; is heshe so so or its an experienced obstetrician?

During the time things clear up, be sure you give her calcium rich food; whatever you have at home and she takes. Cant hurt, may help.

Low calcium niveu may cause weak labor work.

moosfostermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moo had here babies this morning! 4 babies 🥰 her stomach definitely dropped 2 days ago I'm not sure what happened before maybe she was just laying in a silly position when I was feeling her but when it dropped I definitely knew LOL all 4 babies have nub tails like Mama🥰

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you are weighting them daily. Very good!
Kitten in a basket, so its comfortable and they wont protest. Wise!

Have you compensated the scale against the basket? Ie 4,1 - I presume ounces; its the kittens weight, or its kitten + basket?

Note: If you have possibility to measure in grammes, please do so. Its easier to immediately see what is what... A daily rise of 10+ grammes is good.

moosfostermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see you are weighting them daily. Very good!
Kitten in a basket, so its comfortable and they wont protest. Wise!

Have you compensated the scale against the basket? Ie 4,1 - I presume ounces; its the kittens weight, or its kitten + basket?

Note: If you have possibility to measure in grammes, please do so. Its easier to immediately see what is what... A daily rise of 10+ grammes is good.
Yes! The scale is cleared to only weigh the kittens. I will switch to grams from now on. The mom is a little bit odd she doesn't seem to realize she can pick them up or clean them. They kind of room out of the area she's in and she just lets them unless they start to cry, I don't think she stimulating them to go to the bathroom I haven't seen her clean them since they were born or lick them at all. She does allow them to nurse but she also will kind of walk away and sleep elsewhere for 30 mins or so from time to time. Im going to start wiping them each chance i get while they feed.