Foster Mom

Egooch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay y’all, so I decided to foster a mom cat and her newborn kittens(4). They were born just yesterday morning! The mom cat is fairly young, definitely less than a year! She was nursing and sleeping with kittens at the shelter, so I know she knows how. But since I’ve had them home(only about 2 hours), she won’t go into the cage with them. They’ve been sleeping this whole time and haven’t cried yet, but I’m worried about their body temperature and her rejecting them!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

A couple of hours for her to get acclimated isn't too long as long as they aren't crawling around and crying.

Maybe wait a little bit longer and see if she decides to go in. What happens if you lift her into the cage? If mama doesn't like the cage, can you bring a kitten out of the cage and see how she reacts?

Can you get a heating pad, and set it on low and cover it with a couple of towels for the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Egooch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

A couple of hours for her to get acclimated isn't too long as long as they aren't crawling around and crying.

Maybe wait a little bit longer and see if she decides to go in. What happens if you lift her into the cage? If mama doesn't like the cage, can you bring a kitten out of the cage and see how she reacts?

Can you get a heating pad, and set it on low and cover it with a couple of towels for the kittens?
The problem is she’s a foster so she’s not used to me. She bolts the few times I’ve tried to pet her or pick her up! She was in the same exact cage at he shelter. :(

Egooch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to finally get her out of my closet at like 3/4 hours bc I was worried. Every feeding schedule I’ve seen says newborns should be every 2 hours. So I put her in the cage with them and kind of had to help her along by putting her on her side and putting the babies on her stomach. But it only took that one time and so far she’s been nursing great. I think a big part of the problem is she’s so young so her maternal instincts haven’t kicked in. I’m now a little concerned that I don’t believe I’ve seen her stimulate them to use the bathroom. When should I worry about this and what should I look out for??

Egooch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible she’s cleaning them when I’m just not “paying attention”? The reason I got a little worried, is I was trying to sex one and it looked like there was some poop on it's bottom.

Egooch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just looking at them, and there little booties looked damp and clean!! I think we have a successful momma!!