Former Street Cat Questions

toofuelforcool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I have a cat that used to live on the streets, either feral or experiencing negative interactions with humans. He spent a year like that. Additionally, we live in Oklahoma, and the town he lived in experienced a tornado while he was still a kitten.

He was trapped, brought to a shelter, and then moved to another shelter in my town, where he spent his second year. He was unhappy there, was aggressive, and unwanted until I took him in. I'm experienced with wild animals and was able to treat him how he needed.

He's very happy now, over a year later, but I still have some questions about his behavior. I guess I'm more curious than anything else, he's doing pretty well.

He loves kittens more than anything ever. I have another cat who, despite being two years old, still acts like a kitten and oh boy do they love each other. They're best friends. I'm guessing the love of kittens stems from his time on the street, but I'm not sure what would have caused this? A friend stayed with me for a bit and she brought her kitten. It was hilarious watching this big cat that's on medication for anxious and aggressive behavior bound around the apartment, flopping over dramatically when this tiny kitten jumped on him.

My other question is, why does he love it when I play ukulele? I recently picked up the instrument and like to strum chords for a little while. He will come running, curl up with me, and purr. What is it about the ukulele specifically? I also play piano and sing to him, but he loves the ukulele a lot. Does it maybe remind him of purring? My other cat likes it too, but not to the same degree.

He's a very sweet cat, despite it all. I had a minor medical procedure done a few months ago and just after it was done I was not feeling well at all. He stayed with me the whole day, purring, grooming me, bringing me toys... He's come an incredibly long way. I used to not be able to brush him, trim his nails, put flea medication on him, or anything really. Now he's the easiest cat ever to pill, he loves being brushed, lets me trim his nails with ease (he just falls asleep), and I can get away with pretty much anything with him. It's been a long road and a lot of work, but he's a great cat. Even if he has to be sedated when he goes to the vet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

When I saw "former street cat" in your thread title, I was expecting to read all kinds of negative things about your cat, but as I read, I realized you have a purr-fect kitty. :petcat:

I don't really know the answer to either of your questions, though I have read that former strays/ferals are sometimes more likely to accept other cats, than cats who've never been on the streets.

And him curling up while you play the ukulele, is adorable. :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toofuelforcool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I love him very much. It's been challenging at times, and definitely an uphill battle, but he's so sweet. What's interesting is he doesn't like dominant cats (which is fine because my other cat is kind of therapeutic and will assume whatever role the other creature needs him to). But, when it comes to nondominant cats and kittens? My former street kitty is very happy.

The ukulele thing, though, I don't get it but I love it. It's weird but the cutest thing. I'm learning love songs for him, like "I can't help falling in love with you."

toofuelforcool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20170725_092813.jpg
This is him (black and white) getting love from his buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like an absolutely awesome cat! It is rather unusual that he likes kittens, especially as a cat that may have lived in his own but it is wonderful that he is so open to tiny strangers.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.... he's a cutie pie. And so is his buddy. :catlove:

toofuelforcool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's surprisingly gentle when he wants to be. I guess I'll just consider myself lucky to have such a fantastic kitty. :)

He does enjoy spending time curled up against me while we snooze. He's sweet.