For my Emi who crossed the bridge too soon

CharlieM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In 7th grade I was miserable, everyday I wanted to die and couldn’t find any purpose to keep going. But then my sister brought home two cats, one for me one for her, after that things changed. I had an adorable and energetic kitten who I named Emi and loved with all my heart.

It’s been about 5 years since then and my baby Emi passed a few hours ago from what we believe was cancer, she was too young only 5 years old barely entering cat adulthood.

I’m 18 and Emi has seen me through middle and high school, she was a constant source of comfort and love for me(even if she would always wake me up with her 3am zoomies) I love her with my whole heart because she is my heart. I always thought of her as my best friend, my baby, and my entire world. She was the stars in the sky of my life, shining with light and beauty when everything was dark. I feel broken and a piece of me has now been ripped away. I can never repay Emi for all the joy she gave me. I’ll never hear her meow again, I’ll never feel her climbing over me in the middle of the night, I can never wrap her up in my arms again, and I won’t ever see her eyes sparkle in the sun.

I always thought she’d be there when I got my first apartment, I’d imagined how I would decorate and give her all the cozy cat furniture with spots for her to climb around to her little hearts content, and of course plenty of window areas for her sun bathing catnaps. The future i imagined can’t happen now, at least not with Emi, even if I get another cat Emi will always be my first baby with a special place in my heart and memories.

Maybe if I noticed her symptoms sooner she could’ve lived, I keep thinking about how I could’ve prevented this if I just wasn’t so stupid, I’ve been focusing on work and thought she just had some constipation again like she has had in the past, I thought she’d be better in a week or so and I gave her medication and food for her stomach issues like I have before but I neglected to even check for other potential illnesses. I can never forgive myself, Emi was a truly wonderful soul, she was silly and filled with life and personality she wormed her way into my heart and made a home in there for the rest of time.

I made this account only to post this about Emi, I hope that in this way she can be immortalized and never forgotten because she deserves to be known. Not known for her passing but for just how fantastic of a companion she was, though she wasn’t the most cuddly she always appreciated head scratches and being brushed, she loved her scratching post so much and spent a good portion of her day in her cat tree perch.

Emi was too young to be crossing the rainbow bridge, she just turned 5 years old this October just beginning her life that should’ve continued for years and years. She was supposed to grow up with me and now I’m lost, how can I just move on and go through adulthood without her? A month ago I thought i was finally getting the hang of being 18 and an adult, I finally felt more mature and now it feels like I’m back to being that miserable 7th grader with no purpose.

I’ve lost pets before, one of my family’s dogs died about 3 years ago and another family dog died 3 months ago. But I raised Emi from a kitten, I saw her grow up next to me everyday and now she’s gone and I’m still here without my little star. She always liked to sit by the window and look at the night sky, I hope she can see the stars and planets more clearly now that she’s with them. Emi I’ll love and miss you for the rest of my life, my whole heart you can rest without pain now, I’ll meet you again someday and I promise to give you all the head scratches you want when that day comes. Until then I hope your dreams are as sweet as you were.
(I attached photos of her so everyone can see her cute whiskers and eyes)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was absolutely beautiful! What you are going through is absolutely normal. Guilt always accompanies grief, because none of us are perfect, you have a huge hole ripped out of your soul. Your reason for coming here is exactly why I did too, 11 years ago when my soulmate died and I wanted some way to immortalize her name. We are here to help you through this horrible time, i can remember how adrift I was, how life held no pleasure at all without her in it. It took me years to learn to love again, to learn to live again......My life slowly began again, and I hope we can help you find ways to cope in a shorter time. I have been through many deaths since then, each and every one a blow, a reminder of the pain. but none near as bad as that time with her.
you never get over something like this, you learn ways to forge a new life's order to get through it, hopefully coming out stronger in the end. You are so young, and that precious girl has been with you through a lot of turmoil, and for years. of course, losing her is so painful and life changing. your heart knows no difference between human and companion, it just loves. sometimes it is even MORE painful to lose a beloved companion, they are so innocent and so tolerant of our transgressions. We are here to show you you CAN survive, you must to keep her memory and her love alive. No one else in this whole world loved her as you do, it is your love and your grief. I want you to remember, love is spiritual, so eternal. it does not die with the body it just changes form and goes on. You can NEVER lose her love, it will always be a part of you to carry with you until your own end. you cannot change the past, it is set in stone, you cannot know the future because it is not yet here. Live right now in the present, as cats do, getting through each day one day at a time. Time is the only thing that helps you to process what happened and to dull the sharp edges of grief. go towards the future living it as you would want for her to go on if you were the first to go, seeking happiness, love, and beauty in the world, not tears and sorrow. she loves you so much and wants the same.
Her love can never be replaced, it is safely embedded in yoru soul and heart. Her legacy to you is showing you what a cat's love can be. she would love nothing more than to have you love again and place that love next to hers, nurturing what she gave you and allowing it to grow even stronger. She gave you one of this world's greatest treasures, a cat's love. To eb loved and mourned after death is a great tribute, you do her honor.
My heart and prayers are with you, I know how much this hurts. Please accept my sincere condolences and know you are stronger than you think. i'm so sorry for your loss, but happy she is at peace because she carries your love.....RIP precious Emi. You will never be forgotten. you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CharlieM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the support, I’ve processed Emi’s passing a bit more and can think a bit more clearly now. I was planning on not getting another cat for at least a year, but last night when Emi passed my sister’s boyfriend found a tiny black kitten in a box outside.

The kitten looks just like Emi(except no white fur) he has the same big eyes and long whiskers, I know it’s probably way too soon to jump into this but it feels almost like a sign from Emi. That even though I can’t hold my first baby anymore I can always provide a loving home for other kitties.

I feel like I can express my love and gratitude for my Emi by loving this kitten with all my heart and giving them a wonderful life. I want this kitten to grow up happy and healthy, I want them to live the long cat life that for Emi got cut short. I think it will feel good to give this kitty that’s in the same situation Emi was when we found her, and give them the life every cat deserves.

It’s like Emi knew this kitten needed a home, she knew I’d give them the very best life I could. And this time I’ll pay more attention, I’ll lookout for any symptoms that something’s wrong. I hope Emi can rest comfy knowing her memory will continue and that her love gave me the strength to keep loving. My heart still feels shattered of course, I know it will take a long time for the emotional wound to scar over.

Emi thank you for everything, your love and company was one of my life’s greatest joys and I’ll always remember you as my first companion, your life was short but so sweet and beautiful beyond compare. And thank you for sending me this kitten to give this love to.(I attached a photo of the kitten, no name yet but I might name him Apollo, Pluto, or Pluie)

Attachments

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Such a lovely tribute to your beloved baby girl. I‘m so sorry for your loss. Emi was so beautiful.
Cancer is so sneaky, no matter how careful you are, there are no noticia symptoms sometimes until the end stage.
Emi was very lucky to have your love. You new kitten is adorable. He will comfort you through your loss.
Rest in Peace, Emi :redheartpump:

teacupp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always tell everyone, when I die I hope I see all of my beloved animals waiting for me in heaven. It makes your heart ache a little less knowing that they are looking over you and waiting for the day for you to be united again.
I can tell from this post that you’re a wonderful person who loved your cat a lot. Don’t be harsh on yourself, sometimes death is inevitable and it creeps on your loved ones without a warning.

As for Emi, I hope you’re watching over your amazing owner from heaven and protecting her. You were so loved and I hope you rest in peace ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Emi, dream you deep. your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a beautiful girl Emi was, is and always will be. It is so heartrending to lose a beloved companion so young, but where there is love, and eternity just is not long enough. In the fullness of time, you will have your eternity. For now, know that Emi is in That Place Where All Things Are Known, and that she blesses you for your love and care for her. And she sends her love, translated and purified into Love, to walk beside you down through all your days. Because Love abides, always, forever, Love abides.

I think that you are right, and Emi had MUCH to do with guiding this new kitten to where he would find you. And it is a tribute to your love for Emi, and her knowledge that you did every single thing that you knew to do for her while she was here. SHE considers you to be the best guardian for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CharlieM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to write another quick update since it’s been a bit, I still miss Emi everyday and can’t stop myself from crying over pictures of her every night. However, Im very glad to say the new kitten has been adjusting great, I’ve decided to name him Pluto since he looks like a little piece of the dark space void :) sometimes I’ll be happy just drawing, writing, or going about my day and I see these reminders of Emi everywhere, some of her fur still stuck on my jackets, toys she hid under my bed, but mostly I still see her in the corner of my eye and I’ll think for a split second that my baby is here but I always turn to see an either Pluto or an empty space. Pluto is wonderful and a very cuddly kitten whom I already love so much and has given me a lot of comfort in this time, but sometimes it just suddenly hits me that Emi is truly gone and not just out of sight, I can never replicate how it felt to pet her cute face, and no matter how many videos I have of her none of them bring back her loud meowing or soft purr. I still miss her and I know I’ll always miss her for the rest of my life. I’m attaching some new photos of Pluto so y’all can see more of this kitten who’s been nothing but amazing :)

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pluto will help you if you let him. More love is what fills that huge empty hole in your heart. Emi is at peace and her love will be within your soul for eternity. The 'essence' that was her will always surround you, you will never lose that. It may very well be her sending you all these messages. Trying to make you feel better. That is what love is.
It takes at least two years before you start to find some peace. Time is the great healer of broken hearts. you will never get over this, you get through it, by building strength from gathering more love. Your love for Pluto will take time to build, as love always does. Right now just take each day as it comes, don't dwell on the things in the past you can't change, and don't try to forsee the future. Just live day by day, one day at a time.........

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pluto will definitely help, he'll worm his way into your heart. He's really cute! You will never forget Emi and the tears may never stop totally. I had a cat, Swanie, who was the heart and soul of me and I failed him, for which I'll never forgive myself and still cry from time to time. But Austin came into my life. It took me a while to allow myself to love him, but I got there. We think Swanie led us to him, as maybe Emi lead you to Pluto.