Food dilemma

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, so I’m currently facing a dilemma on what to feed my cat. I only have around US$40 to feed her a month.

I was feeding her a store bought raw food ($25 per month) but I realized she was not eating the bone bits (they are not fine grind so she could pick them out). Outside of this company I don’t really trust other raw food seller in my country, so raw food is out of the option.

My second option would be wet food but they are a bit costly. They do sell tiki cat and instinct but they are very expensive around $3.3 per 3oz can. So my budget options are fancy feast cat ($0.8 per can) but I know that FF are not the best, so I’m a bit worried about the quality (I heard the classic pate line is still good but I’m not sure about this).

And my last option would be dry food. I was thinking if the problem in dry food is hydration, can I just mix homemade broth to it?

So there’s that… What do you guys think? Should I feed full FF wet food (I could probably buy 55-60 cans per month) or should I go with dry food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally think that FF classic pates are pretty good actually. They are one of the few that aren't adding fillers (peas, legumes, grains, vegetables as examples). Purina has some pates that are relatively similar to FF, mostly in their Pro Plan and One products, should you choose to look them up.

I would go with FF pates over dry only as a diet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that the FF pates are ok to feed, particularly the Turkey and Giblets. All the other pates now contain some fish, and my cats will no longer eat them because of that (they don't like fish if you can believe it), but if your little one doesn't like them, then you could certainly go with the dry food moistened with either water or homemade broth. Just don't use garlic or onions in the homemade broth.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard the turkey and giblets mentioned as a better option more than once. Is it just because of the previous lack of fish or for some other reason? This now contains fish.
IMG_0802.png

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve heard the turkey and giblets mentioned as a better option more than once. Is it just because of the previous lack of fish or for some other reason? This now contains fish.
Darn it all :argh:. It was because it didn't contain fish. Now it does and that would explain why my guys are balking at eating this one too :sigh:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darn it all :argh:. It was because it didn't contain fish. Now it does and that would explain why my guys are balking at eating this one too :sigh:
You know what is weird - Feeby doesn't like fish cat food but will eat most any other flavor of the FF classic pates that contain some amount of fish in them. Glad she does, otherwise, we'd be screwed.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 20 lb. bag of Purina Cat Chow Complete only costs about $20-$25 in the US. Our cats eat that and whatever canned food we can get at the store that we like. Decent (mid-grade) canned food costs $1-$2 per can and we feed two cats half a can per day.

A big bag of dry cat food lasts our two cats a good month and, with canned food, our cat food bills come in at around $50 per month.

Since you've only got one cat, your cat food bills should be about half of what ours are. You could either use the savings to buy better brands of cat food or put the money in the bank to make a "Cat Savings Account" for when you need it.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm on a tight budget too so I feed both wet and dry. But despite my budget I feed Weruva wet (slightly cheaper than Tiki) once a day. A couple times a week I will feed her the wet food twice. The rest is Blue Wilderness dry, between an eight and quarter cup per day. I give her some Churu a couple times a week to get those fluids in.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeding some dry alonside the wet is an excellent option if it allows you to put some $ in savings (for yours and or cats health!)

You can add some extra water then to the wet food for extra hydration.

Magnus is doing super well on Iams urinary (prevention for my peace of mind). He gets 3 tbsp of dry per day and the rest of his calories are wet food with extra water added. Using thay small amount, the bag lasts a long time and its already more than enough calories to maintain his weight and body condition when fed with wet food.

If your cat does crunch dry food there is also some evidence to show that it can help to keep teeth clean.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hope this is in the right forum…
My cats will only eat Friskies wet food (mainly Turkey and beef,shreds) plus the Friskies dry food..But the latest cans I purchased the shredded beef cans look a lot lighter in color and most of my cats really don’t like it. I think I read or heard somewhere the company was going to stop putting in the food coloring. I thought that would be mainly for the dry food, but I’m wondering if it’s for the wet food too and in the past they’ve had to make the beef look more yummy by making it a darker color? I know it wouldn’t be in the interest for cat owners or the cats. It would be for more profits for the company. I’ve tried to mix the flavors up a little bit because they must be sick of turkey and beef but the other flavors especially the chicken looks terrible and my cats aren’t in favor of that. sometimes there’s a few of them that throw up when I give them the chicken .
when I bought the beef from chewy I bought the tray of 24 shredded and then I bought a box of mixed shredded cans and I’m thinking it’s the lot numbers.
Looks like the newer cans are the light colored beef and some of the older cans are the darker color. In fact, I noticed the shredded turkey and giblets don’t look so great either. I’m sick of the fancy feast that has potatoes, spinach, carrots, rice, as fillers. sometimes my cats eat it and other times they walk away. I have no idea what I’m going to be able to feed the cats if friskies keeps getting worse and worse., I’ve tried more expensive food and it looks pretty good when I open the cans, but my cats won’t eat it. They walk away, I’ve even tried mixing a little bit of a newer food in with the older and I guess they can smell the newer food in there and will leave half of it. Even when I open the Friskies dry food the nuggets look old. It’s hard to explain. They’re giving us crap for our kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully my cat really loves the Fancy Feast. I only buy her the classic pate poultry line if that helps!