Food Change / Multiple Accidents On Floor

Kab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat started having accidents in our hallway a few weeks ago, due to the sensitive food we had her on and ever since, shes been going there to do her business. We switched her food to another sensitive stomach brand and she really enjoys it, but her poop is still a mixture of runny, firm piles. She pees in her litterbox and poops in it on and off now. We bought a bottle of Nature's Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor Eliminator and tried it out on the spots, but she still goes back and poops in other places in the hall. We even tried saturating the whole hall twice, with no luck. Aside from that, her coat is shiny and shes still very sassy. I am at a loss on what to do for her at this point.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. It sounds like she is still having negative reactions to her food.

Food changes should not normally be made abruptly. Are you able to put her back on the original food that she was eating before the accidents started? Or mix some of it in with the new food?

Here's a TCS article with more info:
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

Hopefully once her tummy gets used to the new food, the outside the litter box accidents will stop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. It sounds like she is still having negative reactions to her food.

Food changes should not normally be made abruptly. Are you able to put her back on the original food that she was eating before the accidents started? Or mix some of it in with the new food?

Here's a TCS article with more info:
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

Hopefully once her tummy gets used to the new food, the outside the litter box accidents will stop.
Her old food was what started the accidents and We figured since she liked the new food, that we could make the full switch and maybe it would stop. Ill try to mix the old with the current again and see what happens. Hopefully it doesnt make her worse feel worse going backwards.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is she? How long was she on the original food? If that's what caused the problem, not sure if going back to it will help or not.

Have you asked your vet for advice? Food recommendations?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Can you try some fancy feast?

Can you add in a teaspoon of plain pumpkin?

Also, now that she's being inconsistent, maybe add some cat attract litter to her box(es) to help get her back on track, also maybe add a litter box in the hallway and then gradually, by increments shift it to where you'd prefer to have it. Puppy pee pads could help with cleanup, possibly...

• Purraise
Reactions: Kab

Kab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is she? How long was she on the original food? If that's what caused the problem, not sure if going back to it will help or not.

Have you asked your vet for advice? Food recommendations?
She is a year old and she was on it for a month. Her bowels were like this when she was a kitten as well. The shelter we got her from fed her the same brand of food and we assumed it was good quality since they were feeding it to her. I kept noticing her poop not changing, so we tried the sensitive tummy version of the brand and she still had frequent cow pie looking spots. I looked up better quality brands for sensitive tummies and found the one shes trying out now, that we switched too from the old one fast by the looks of it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - or her tummy just doesn't like it either, some cats are like this due to a sensitivity/intolerance/allergic reaction to an ingredient(s) that is being used in both foods.

This is kibble, correct?

As I mentioned, you could try a couple cans of fancy feast and see if things improve, add in the teaspoon of plain pumpkin.

Also, has she been in to see a vet lately?

Last edited:

Kab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - or her tummy just doesn't like it either, some cats are like this due to a sensitivity/intolerance/allergic reaction to an ingredient(s) that is being used in both foods.

This is kibble, correct?

As I mentioned, you could try a couple cans of fancy feast and see if things improve, add in the easpoon of plain pumpkin.

Also, has she been in to see a vet lately?
I will try the fancy feast/ pumpkin for her and I moved her litter box into the hall to help. Thank you for the advice! Also, yes, her food is dry food.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I first adopted Ruby, she had cow patty type poop too. She didn't have accidents outside the litter box, but she never had normal formed stools either.

After a few months, my vet suggested trying a hypo-allergenic veterinary food. We switched immediately, with no transition between new and old food, and her poop literally improved overnight.

She's been eating that food ever since (over 4 years now) and her poop is almost always normal. The protein of the food she eats is duck. The idea was to try a protein her system probably never had before, and hadn't become allergic to.

Your cat could be allergic to, or have a sensitivity to a specific protein, i.e. chicken. Since you feed her dry food, it's harder to try different ones with different ingredients. But just because it's a "sensitive stomach brand" doesn't guarantee it'll agree with her system.

Are you able to try canned food? That way you can try different flavours and see if one agrees with her better than another.