fleas?

mike hooker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ive got 2 indoor cats, never outside. the past 2 summers, fleas. the first yr when they got fleas, i used frontline, last year revolution. i like revolution better. i have a screen in porch that they love to be in. for 15 yrs on the porch, never fleas. now im afraid to let them use the porch, which they really enjoyed. this yr ( may 1st) i started them on revolution, and will monthly. not waiting this time. is that enough to let them use the porch this year, or am i playing with fire? ps- if it makes a difference, im on long island ny . thanks

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sympathize with you! I have fostered up to 8 cats and with 4 of my own, the last thing I need is for them to have fleas to spread all over the house.

I had this problem with an outdoor area, below ground level, where my foster cats used to love to lie, watch the birds and soak up the sun. A lot of stray cats have fleas and somehow fleas must have got into this area. Perhaps a year later, a litter of kittens, almost ready to leave for their new homes, were allowed out and one kitten came back scratching himself. I had to handpick a couple of fleas out of his fur! It's not a good state of affairs when you have to warn the prospective owners that their new baby may have fleas!

I solved the problem by covering the wire mesh roof of the area with a plastic sheet, put on a facemask and sprayed the area with a flea repellent. I know that a lot of people on thecatsite will be horrified, but, in my vet’s opinion, one good dose of insect repellent to get rid of the problem is far better than many less effective "natural" methods which, in the long term, may be equally dangerous to the environment. If the area were larger I may even have used a fogger - anything to stop the little beasts getting into the house and multiplying.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mike hooker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sympathize with you! I have fostered up to 8 cats and with 4 of my own, the last thing I need is for them to have fleas to spread all over the house.

I had this problem with an outdoor area, below ground level, where my foster cats used to love to lie, watch the birds and soak up the sun. A lot of stray cats have fleas and somehow fleas must have got into this area. Perhaps a year later, a litter of kittens, almost ready to leave for their new homes, were allowed out and one kitten came back scratching himself. I had to handpick a couple of fleas out of his fur! It's not a good state of affairs when you have to warn the prospective owners that their new baby may have fleas!

I solved the problem by covering the wire mesh roof of the area with a plastic sheet, put on a facemask and sprayed the area with a flea repellent. I know that a lot of people on thecatsite will be horrified, but, in my vet’s opinion, one good dose of insect repellent to get rid of the problem is far better than many less effective "natural" methods which, in the long term, may be equally dangerous to the environment. If the area were larger I may even have used a fogger - anything to stop the little beasts getting into the house and multiplying.

Good luck!
what product did you use for repellent?
thanks

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's now called ARDAP, (previously Bolfo?) purchased in Germany. Maybe it's banned where you live!

mike hooker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i used somerthing last year in the carpets and other areas. i'll check to see if its similiar. i live in the US. what ever it was worked in the house. thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i used somerthing last year in the carpets and other areas. i'll check to see if its similiar. i live in the US. what ever it was worked in the house. thanks
Don't want to hijack this thread, but please let me know what you used in your house last year that worked. I have sprayed all carpeted areas in my house with an IGR (Martin's) and it doesn't seem to be entirely effective. I am also using Advantage II on my cat, which is apparently is not entirely effective either. I am afraid to use other products on Feeby, especially ones that enter the bloodstream, given that she is 15+ yo.

This past year is the FIRST year we have ever had fleas in the entire 35 years we have lived in the house.

mike hooker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i used virbac knockout. its a spray, not a bomb. my wife hates chemical, i did it when she was away :) . im in the same boat, 35 yrs , the last 2 fleas. try revolution for the older cat. you can find online the labs studies , https://animaldrugsatfda.fda.gov/adafda/app/search/public/document/downloadFoi/5847 . very effective and safe. in the US its prescription, i get it online from canada. easier to apply than frontline. better applicator, and it very thin, easier to get into the skin. the frontline is thicker and gets caught up in the fur.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im having fleas on my indoor cats too! I gave them advantage but now 17 days later I found a flea on Allies head and had a flea jump on me resting my arm on their cat tree....

I just treated the outside yard and perimeter with biffen xts....

I will re apply advantage in 2 weeks, I hate giving the meds and ordered two flea traps and a flea comb

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Im having fleas on my indoor cats too! I gave them advantage but now 17 days later I found a flea on Allies head and had a flea jump on me resting my arm on their cat tree....I just treated the outside yard and perimeter with biffen xts....I will re apply advantage in 2 weeks, I hate giving the meds and ordered two flea traps and a flea comb
You have to treat the inside of the house as well. I tried IGR (Martin's) but am now looking for something else that is more than just an IGR. I also stopped being so diligent about flea combing Feeby. I was doing it several times a week, until she started being belligerent about it. Am going to re-pick up the pace on this until she totally freaks out on me again. Dish of very soapy (dish soap is fine) water to drown the things in when you get them with the comb. Long strokes, head to tail, dip the comb, then dry the flea comb and stroke another area again. Do legs, belly and the tail last - that seems to be where they 'run' to. Are you vacuuming everything in your house at least every 2-3 times a week? And, then throw out the vacuum bag each and every time. Cleaning any bedding that she uses regularly also helps to eradicate flea eggs.

And, lastly, I am now down to giving Feeby Adv II every 10 days. I started at once a month, saw fleas after two weeks so then I went to two weeks, and now I am doing it every 10 days. The data I have read says it can be administered weekly with problematic flea infestations. It doesn't seem to be negatively affecting her, and it does not go into the blood stream so that makes me feel a bit better with doing it more frequently. If I have to, I will do every 7 days along with all of the other things as noted above.

Maybe some info from this web site might help? FleaScience

Last edited: