Flavour variety in raw foods..

kody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

My 6 month old kitten's been eating the chicken flavour of Nature's Variety raw foods for a while now and I'm wondering if I should be switching up the meat sources in her diet. She tends to be a finicky eater and will go on a hunger strike rather than eat something she doesn't like. She also turns her nose up at food that's been heated in a microwave or left out for more than 3 hours.. sheesh 
 . Needless to say she has me well trained and isn't shy with her vocal complaints, comments or just generally talking all the time lol

I was thinking to try her out on duck or rabbit if I can find it at my pet store. How important is it for her to eat different types of meat or would she be ok if she just continues to eat chicken only? 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, just for your sake it's probably better if she eats other proteins, so she's not AS picky when she's older. Given that NV commercial raw is complete and balanced, she doesn't *need* other proteins. But I would work on introducing other proteins. Just start very, very small with the new one mixed into or set next to the chicken, and slowly increase.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with LDG. You never know when a food recall may occur, or an allergy to chicken, etc. I feed mainly chicken thigh recipe (homemade) to my cats, but I try to throw in pork or beef just to give them something different and I may have to one day rely on them eating something other than chicken mostly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took your advise and bought her some duck, she seems to like it at least as much as the chicken, if not more! We'll try the rabbit next time and see how that goes :)

Thanks!

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, this caught my attention and I went to the Website to see the ingredients. Okay, even the frozen version is 5% fruits and vegetables. I guess it is raw plus veggies (and a number of nutrients, etc.)

Well, after reading about home made raw, I would definitely be interested in doing that if it wasn't for my health issues that consume a lot of my time and energy... so wondering if this is the next best thing?

I rotate a bunch of different mostly grain free products with a lesser quality every now and then - so I guess this would be good to enter the rotation?

Anything "special" about NV or just another "gimmick?" (i.e. raw, but not entirely)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, this caught my attention and I went to the Website to see the ingredients. Okay, even the frozen version is 5% fruits and vegetables. I guess it is raw plus veggies (and a number of nutrients, etc.)

Well, after reading about home made raw, I would definitely be interested in doing that if it wasn't for my health issues that consume a lot of my time and energy... so wondering if this is the next best thing?

I rotate a bunch of different mostly grain free products with a lesser quality every now and then - so I guess this would be good to enter the rotation?

Anything "special" about NV or just another "gimmick?" (i.e. raw, but not entirely)
There are several companies that make 100% nutritionally complete raw foods.  Natures Variety is just one of them.  Bravo is another that normally sells in  natural pet food stores, although they also make some raw foods that require supplements, so you have to make sure you buy Bravo Balance Blends.  Stella and Chewy's and Primal are also ones that you can usually find in local natural pet food stores. 

Now if you want to order frozen complete meals via the internet, then there are many, many more! 

As far as adding raw into your rotation, sometimes its not a easy as just plopping down a nugget of raw and having your furkids dive in.  It totally depends on the cat.  Mine were very resistent to eating raw at first.  One LOVES his raw food, and now eats large chunks (boneless with supplements added for calcium, etc), one likes it ok, but he doesn't really care if he eats or not...but he was a hard sell, thats for sure
, and one ate it for about a year and then went on a total raw strike and is back on canned only (grain free mostly)
.  But other cats have taken to raw immediately and never looked back.  And, don't get me wrong, I still feed my raw eaters canned twice a week just because it's necessary logistically.  And they dive right in.  So it can definitely be in rotation...it just might take some getting used to

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay - although what I meant by raw included grinding it - THAT is what I don't have the time/energy for.

Ah, but we have a farmer's market that sells, among other things, chicken hearts. I've heard they are a fantastic treat if your cats like them.

But how can I minimize the chance of salmonella? I'm thinking rinsing in a diluted solution of food grade hydrogen peroxide? I'm interested to see if they would like chicken hearts.

Thanks for more information on brands.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Okay - although what I meant by raw included grinding it - THAT is what I don't have the time/energy for.

Ah, but we have a farmer's market that sells, among other things, chicken hearts. I've heard they are a fantastic treat if your cats like them.

But how can I minimize the chance of salmonella? I'm thinking rinsing in a diluted solution of food grade hydrogen peroxide? I'm interested to see if they would like chicken hearts.

Thanks for more information on brands.
Well, I figured you meant you didn't have the time to start from scratch (grinding, cutting up chunks of meat, etc), that's why I provided you with names of companies who provide meals already ready to defrost and plop in the bowl.  Voila, dinner is served.   (am I missing something?)

Yes, chicken hearts are a super treat...full of taurine
.  What I do with any meats I buy is simply freeze them for a minimum of 3 days before serving.  That supposedly kills most of the "bad stuff".  Here's a thread all about pathogens in raw food that you might find interesting:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248317/raw-feeding-and-parasites-questions