FISS (Feline Injection Site Sarcoma)

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After 3 yrs of battling FLUD which we resolved with a change in litter and a larger box our 11yr old Maine Coon was diagnosed with FISS. We're obviously heartbroken and trying to take a realistic perspective with regards to his life expectancy.

We're probably going to have surgery but my concern has to do with post op recovery. I do not want my boy to loose a leg.

Anyone have experience with this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I have a question. How confident are the vets that they can eliminate further issues if they remove the leg? Cats, even at 11 years old can manage quite well with three legs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
I have a question. How confident are the vets that they can eliminate further issues if they remove the leg? Cats, even at 11 years old can manage quite well with three legs.
Great question. Some background, This type of cancer almost never goes into remission. The median survival time of 1-2 years includes surgery, chemo, radiation. A lot depends on how aggressive the cancer is. However, this can't be determined until the tumor has been removed and sent for analysis.

The answer to your question is that they can't which is why post op radiation/chemo is recommended. We're not going to do that.

Removal alone brings the survival time to about 1 year. But again it depends on the size, aggressiveness, and the extent the cancer has spread. They remove a lot of surrounding tissue as part of the procedure. 3-5cm around the tumor. .
My guy is 27 lbs and he must be able to climb stairs. Based on his age quality of life is paramount and I would rather have him survive 9-12 months with four legs rather than 10-15 months on three.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So, which leg? How long since a lump was found. The key to these is quick radical surgery to hopefully remove all affected cells.

Unfortunately, it is a very aggressive cancer that usually has much more to it than you can see. So, get that leg off by a board certified surgeon asap for hopefully a good outcome.

I would definitely be talking to a board certified veterinary oncologist.

In my experience, if you mess with these tumors ( biopsy that doesn’t remove it completely) they spread faster. That is why after diagnosis you need to be quick about removing it.

I am sorry for the diagnosis. I have know cats that had it and outlived the life expectancy. Remember, cats don’t follow rules.

If this was my cat, I would never vaccinate again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. So, which leg? How long since a lump was found. The key to these is quick radical surgery to hopefully remove all affected cells.

Unfortunately, it is a very aggressive cancer that usually has much more to it than you can see. So, get that leg off by a board certified surgeon asap for hopefully a good outcome.

I would definitely be talking to a board certified veterinary oncologist.

In my experience, if you mess with these tumors ( biopsy that doesn’t remove it completely) they spread faster. That is why after diagnosis you need to be quick about removing it.

I am sorry for the diagnosis. I have know cats that had it and outlived the life expectancy. Remember, cats don’t follow rules.

If this was my cat, I would never vaccinate again.

Right rear. I'm not removing his leg. He's a large breed which is prone to developing arthritis at his age. Yes we're using joint supplements.

In any case we.have a consult with surgeon on Monday morning. This is the earliest. If we don't like what they have to say we'll have our vet do it ASAP.

Our Vet has said they can do it but a surgeon would be better equipped to remove more of the tumor and surrounding tissue.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Our Vet has said they can do it but a surgeon would be better equipped to remove more of the tumor and surrounding tissue.
Absolutely. If your vet is honest enough to give you this opinion, listen to him. Clean margins, or as clean as they can be, will be of utmost importance.

FWIW I had a GSD who was a melanoma amputee. Dogs and cat do function well with three legs. In the case of a back leg, it supports 20% of the body weight (40% back legs and 60% front legs).
Oncept®A New Treatment For Vaccine Tumors In Cats – Merial/Boehringer Ingelheim’s Fibrosarcoma Vaccine – Ron Hines' Vetspace – 2nd Chance – The Animal Health Website
This is one of the newest treatments for FISS. A companion vaccine, Oncept for dogs, was used by my GSD and it has been very effective even in cases of canine oral melanoma.

Please let us know what the surgeon says.