Fish erythromycin? Antibiotic help

Barncatsmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize taking the cats to the vet is ideal. I have numerous barn cats that I’ve sort of inherited. I’ve been trying to fix them but as you might know, the reproduce faster than I can afford to fix. I’m asking for real advice. Please scroll on if you just want to berate me. I’m doing my best to help these cats. I love them and hate to see them sick. That being said, I know some have used fish mox in dire situations. Evidently, it’s not as easy to find. All I could find was fish erythromycin. Has anyone had any experience using that? Several cats have bad runny noses and diarrhea. I’m already treating the poops and they’ve been dewormed. Any legitimate help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m desperate. The vet I use will not prescribe meds for cats they haven’t actually seen with presented symptoms. Even tho they know my situation. Thanks again for your time.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Erythromycin is not commonly used in cats. It has a narrow window of susceptible bacteria it treats and can cause GI upset, anorexia, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Usually upper respiratory infections are viral, so they don’t respond to antibiotics, unless there is a secondary bacterial infection as well. It is extremely hard to dose outdoor cats with antibiotics because you have to mix it into food and there is no way to control who gets what. Bu, even if it was doable, and needed, I still wouldn’t use erythromycin.

It’s hard with feral cats because there isn’t much you can do short of trapping them and having them seen. Even then, it can be hard to find a veterinarian that is experienced with ferals.

Is there any cat rescue groups or other colony cat caretakers you can reach out to in your area? Sometimes Facebook is good for finding others that care for ferals.

Bigger organizations that I am sure you are aware of is Alley Cat Allies, and The Feral Cat Coalition.

Other than trying to get help that way, try to make sure the cats can get out of the elements and try to reduce their survival stress. Also pretty close to impossible with ferals.

I would look for other feral cat caretakers in your area and see if they can offer any help.