First tase of raw....kitties loved it!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, so maybe some of you hard core raw feeders wouldn't consider it "real" raw, it was Stella and Chewy's freeze dried. 

This morning I found out there is a holistic pet food store in town (who knew?)  They had some brands I've had to order by the case to try and some I've considered ordering.  I picked up a bag of Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw as a possible alternative to the small spoon of quality kibble my cats get as a midday snack.  (Their meals are mostly grain free canned, going to 100% grain free this week.)

Anyways, I'm always looking for ways to make their diet healthier and regard the raw diet as very healthy.  I'm not ready to take the plunge yet, but am excited to possibly work in this freeze dried raw a little.

Do you think it might have some dental benefits since they are pretty big chunks to chew?  Also, I know it should be hydrated if fed as meals but do you think it is okay to give them a few dry chunks as treats or snacks?  When it is hydrated does it still require chewing....I like that they have to do some chewing since their canned food is pate style.

**Ooops thread title should say "taste."

Edited to add this question.....If I ever wanted to try making one of their meals commercial raw, would there be any harm in one canned grain free meal and one raw each day?  I know mixing raw with kibble is a no-no, but wasn't sure about canned.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always hydrate the S&C before serving it but I don't think it is necessary. I doubt there is any dental benefit from feeding id dry since it is pretty crumbly. And it isn't chewy after rehydrating, just soft.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed the S&C freeze dried chicken as a treat. I also crumble it on top of their food sometimes as an enticement when someone's being finicky. :lol3: It's a great food, IMO, just one of the most expensive raw options if feeding only commercial raw. :nod: But it's a wonderful transition food or addition to whatever they're already eating. :nod:

I agree - no dental benefit to the dry S&C. Too crumbly.

And a number of people don't feed only raw. It doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" thing! It's perfectly fine to supplement some raw treats or meals if you're feeding grain-free wet food. If you do use a dry food, just make sure it's a high-protein, low-carb and grain-free kibble, and best to feed it not close in times to the raw. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My furkids don't like it if it's rehydrated.  So I mainly just feed it as a treat, although when they are being extremely finicky and won't eat anything else, they DO get it as a meal...all dry.  And I have found that different flavors are not as crumbly as others.