First Herpes flare up

Jurikyu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I have a 10yr old fluff ball who has herpes. The last time he had a flare up was 9 years ago, in the last two weeks I had to give him antibiotics and I think it stressed him out and made his herpes flare.

It startd out with sneezing, and now it's a lot of snorting and a cough? He has no eye discharge and his cat boogies are clear. No build up.
It's starting to effing his eating and sleeping since he will wake up and sneeze and cough and for his food he will eat a little have a coughing fit and leave it for a while.
I have tried to get a hold of my vet since I have never dealt with this before (I can barely remember his last flare 9 years ago) and because of where I live our vet situation is awful. Closest appointment I can get is February.

If anyone can please help, advise, or even help guide me as what I can do to help him I would be very grateful.

Thank you! 😿

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you live in an area where the weather has changed recently? I have an asthmatic kitty that has these same symptoms, but I also had a cat who struggled with herpes for all of her life. I would get the bathroom nice and steamy and sit with him in it to help loosen all that stuff in his nose and let him sneeze it out. You can also try baby saline drops in his nose. Lastly, you might try a daily antihistamine. We give 1/2 of a plain loratadine (Claritin, not Claritin D) once a day in wet food. I just smash it with the back of the spoon and mix it in.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the allergy pills and get some VetriScience DMG (online at Walmart, Amazon, etc.) to build up the immune system. My cats have leukemia and any infection could kill them. They used to get herpes at least once a year, but since starting the DMG 3 years ago have not had it at all. Of course I keep them strictly inside now too. L-Lysine didn't work at all.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob Which L-lysine did you try? I use NutriCost pure L-lysine loose powder and it has helped my outside ferals. It seems to help the ferals in my friends' colonies as well. I tried some lysine Feline chews from Chewy and they weren't effective at all. Also, which brand of DMG do you use? I would be interested in seeing if it would help my kitties with stomatitis. Qunol brand of CoQ-10 seems to really help, too, but it is pricey.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme , that was years ago i used L-lysine, so dontremember what brand. The brand of DMG i use is Vetriscience. I am looking at some studies about NAC for a cat with congestion that he cant seem to shake. Ive tried every allergy pill.