First egg yolk, my girls say yum yum yummy!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it wasn't unanimous at first. Jennie and Queen Eva dove right in, Mazy took a sniff, a tentative lick, then walked away.

So, while Jennie and Queen Eva lapped with enthusiasm I got out the trusty Vet's-Best, called Mazy cat back over, let her smell the V-B in my fingers, then dusted just a tiny tiny bit over the yolk. She tried the yolk again, decided it was good after all, then licked her dish clean, even to licking all along the rim of the dish!

In the meantime Queen Eva had finished hers and was looking for more. Jennie had left a small yellow puddle in her dish, so I gave her a bit of Vet's-Best too. I think that's why she left some, because she smelled the V-B and knew if she left something in her dish, she'd get some V-B. Jennie has me well trained. :lol3: Just to keep things fair, I gave Queen Eva some V-B too. :)

They each had about 1/3 of a yolk. :banana1:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very nice.  So, couple of questions.

1) did you use organic eggs?

2)  do you grind up the Vet's best in a blender or anything first?  Those tablets are so hard, and you've got arthritis, right?  I got some of that to try to wean Callie and Darko off of Fortiflora, and even though I don't have arthritis, I can barely break 'em up
.  Half the time they end up having rather large chunks of it on top of whatever they are eating
.  I was thinking maybe I should put the entire bottle's worth in my magic bullet and try to turn 'em to powder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for looking everyone :)

Very nice.  So, couple of questions.

1) did you use organic eggs?

2)  do you grind up the Vet's best in a blender or anything first?  Those tablets are so hard, and you've got arthritis, right?  I got some of that to try to wean Callie and Darko off of Fortiflora, and even though I don't have arthritis, I can barely break 'em up :lol3: .  Half the time they end up having rather large chunks of it on top of whatever they are eating :rolleyes: .  I was thinking maybe I should put the entire bottle's worth in my magic bullet and try to turn 'em to powder :dk:
The eggs I use are just regular grocery store eggs, not organic. Does it matter?

I have no trouble breaking up the Vet's-Best hairball relief tablets. I don't find them hard at all. I can break them at the score in the middle, then break the halves into quarters, and a quarter crumbles into dust with a little grinding between my fingers. I do notice that the longer the time since I first opened the bottle, the less easy it is to crush them, meaning I guess, they get harder as they lose freshness, but...still easy.

Usually I use less than even a fourth of a tablet worth of dust for any incentive needed. Just a pinch is all, most of the time.

PS my finger tips are as rough as sand paper. I wonder if that's why they crush easy for me. :lol3:

Here Sally, I took some video of me breaking up a V-B tablet. See how easy, even with my arthritic fingers, using my left hand...:) The last bit I sprinkled on the counter is about how much I use over a serving of anything. (That's Jennie meowing in the background)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The eggs I use are just regular grocery store eggs, not organic. Does it matter?
I've been wanting to research this myself so I just did a little reading.  My conclusions (and I encourage anyone to read for themselves) is that organic eggs come from chickens that led a bit of a happier life and were fed better food, probably subjected to less antibiotics and stuff too.  So in my world it would be ideal to buy organic, but my kids and I (and the kitties) go through a large amount of eggs and $4 per dozen is just too much.  We compromise and buy the egglands best, which are just a little more expensive but fed a better diet, supposedly, so the omega 3's are better....but they do not claim to be organic.   

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, Gail, you've got strong fingers!  I'm right handed, and cannot begin to get that kind of powder.  I can quarter them pretty easily, after that, it's a guess as to what will happen.  Sometimes they just may end up with largest chunks of it, but they're still happy

As to the eggs, I'm with Txcatmom, would be great to afford organic, or homegrown, but can't afford that, so just go with what we have in the house.  I don't even use Egglands Best.  But, then again, I've only fed 1 egg yoke so far, since my pickies are getting egg yolk lecithin, and Krill Oil and still eating Primal and Radcat, so don't really need to supplement too much

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in spite of the arthritis, the muscles in my fingers are well developed from years of hard use in my various lines of work, that's true. But really, I find those tablets are pretty soft, at least when they are fresh. They do harden a bit over time, but when the bottle was first opened, they practically crumbled at a touch.

Yes, my cats too have had the egg yolk only the one time so far. When you asked if they were organic I thought maybe there was some reason I shouldn't use regular eggs. I'm glad to know it's fine to use them.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hope this isn't taking over someone else's thread but Eko was excited for his egg yolk this morning.  I thought of this thread and snapped a couple of photos....

He and Lucy end up splitting a yolk most mornings.  I hope that isn't too much of a good thing.  But when we make eggs their little pleading faces show up in the kitchen.  I need to figure out a way to make sure Emily and Leo get some too.  They would probably eat it but Eko and Lucy get it because they are the most enthusiastic and get there first. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww....! Great pictures!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He sure is crazy about his eggs.  I think I know who would be raiding all the birds' nests in the neighborhood if he was an outdoor cat. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Gail, you've got strong fingers!  I'm right handed, and cannot begin to get that kind of powder.  I can quarter them pretty easily, after that, it's a guess as to what will happen.  Sometimes they just may end up with largest chunks of it, but they're still happy :lol3:
Sally, now I know what you mean. I just opened a new jar of Vet's-Best and the tablets are hard as rocks. Huh. I've found a new way to powder them still, though. I break a tablet in half, then break a half into quarters. Grind the two quarters against each other over the dish and that releases the powder.

I'm going to write to the company to ask why the difference in composition.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way I have written to Vets-Best about the difference in crushability, the one jar I was able to crush the tablets into powder easily and the new jar I am not. I'll post any answer I get here.