First aid for feral

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A male QT- look -alike has been visiting the last few days. He is very friendly but because of my resident cats and dog, he usually flees the moment he hears or sees them.
Last night he came by with lots of scratches on his face and his front right leg was swollen. Looking close I noticed he had a gash (about 1 cm.) in the side. It wasn't bleeding but I think I could see meat. I need to apply some antiseptic but how? And if you can recommend any medicine I would really appreciate it.
He limps but he is still pretty quick in avoiding my pets.
Thanks!

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

A male QT- look -alike has been visiting the last few days. He is very friendly but because of my resident cats and dog, he usually flees the moment he hears or sees them.
Last night he came by with lots of scratches on his face and his front right leg was swollen. Looking close I noticed he had a gash (about 1 cm.) in the side. It wasn't bleeding but I think I could see meat. I need to apply some antiseptic but how? And if you can recommend any medicine I would really appreciate it.
He limps but he is still pretty quick in avoiding my pets.
Thanks!
If it's that bad of a wound, it is probably a Cat Bite Abscess, most likely he will need veterinary attention to clean and close the wound.

Spotz

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he really needs vet treatment. You'll have to borrow a trap from your local humane society and trap him and take him off to the vet. In the mean-time, you can add a drop of GSE to his food. This will help him with the infection until he sees a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the advise. He hasn't showed up but I am hopeful he'll be back. I will be ready for him. Wish me luck!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He came back only yesterday (never showed up since I posted this thread)and his leg and wound are healed. He is dirtier but okay. Can wounds like that get cured by themselves?

Anyway, another tabby feral suddenly showed up and the QT lookalike was ready to fight. Sheesh! They both ran away chasing one another. Well, I suppose this is a happy ending?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just because the wound has closed does not mean the cat has healed. There could be an infection brewing under the skin and so watch him as close as you can for any signs of an abscess-

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Yayi...are these cats fixed? If not..it would probably be a good idea to trap the cats and take them in to get fixed as well as have their wounds looked over.

Katie

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with everyone, please if you can, trap them and get them into the vet to get fixed and that wound looked at....you just never know.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is not to say that neutered ferals won't fight, but the level of aggressiveness is greatly diminished. It is far less likely that they will fight if neutered. Chasing each other off isn't necessarily good. A neutered male will defend himself against an attack.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hurray! I caught him and he is now in the vet. Apparently he had a fever and the wound was not healed as I thought. The fever is not high but the vet has put him on dextrose to rehydrate him and be able to give him antibiotics and antinflamatory meds. Well, I won't be adopting him but I will have him neutered (when he is really well) and then released. Thank you all very much!