Feral lynx point kitten

shirazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found this kitten in July. The farmers estimate was that she was approx 3 months old at that point. She was wild at first be quickly became tame and is now a wonderful and intelligent house cat. She loves to fetch and has grown like a weed. Both parents were on site. Mom was a brown classic tabby. Dad was a red Mac tabby.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A nice and beautiful example of what it can be, as you know whom the parents are.

Two random tabbies, (however surely both nice in their own shy way), surely moggies and barn cats from many generations back - and voilá, one or two of their kittens is a beautiful point, some sort of look alike old type siamese... The others kittens in that litter were surely more "normal" tabbies.  The point gene,which both did carried, did met here each other and become double - resulting in our point...

So here we know with 100% certainity what she is:   an adopted barn cat, a moggie (domestic if you want to put it more officially).

Pattern: lynx point   (where lynx = tabby and point), look-alike?  Some sort of old type siamese perhaps....   A beauty and a wonderful freak of Mother Nature.

Congrats to your furry friend and this win in the lottery of fate!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shirazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Here is a more recent pic of Cersei. Being an ex Devon breeder, I know how rare a lynx point is and nabbed her from the barnyard at my first opportunity. With the farmer's (my father-in-law) permission of course. The rarity of her colour was totally lost on them of course.
Her mother is a gorgeous example of a classic tabby with a lovely marble pattern. Dad is a typical roughed up Tom. I should add that being a true point gene, cersei's eyes have remained a pale blue but are not the deep blue seen in Siamese cats.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She must be a tortie/torbie point? Or the red tom isn't her daddy. I don't see any tortie/torbie-ness but it only takes one little red patch somewhere. Otherwise. . .mama's been stepping out! :lol3: She's gorgeous!

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She must be a tortie/torbie point? Or the red tom isn't her daddy. I don't see any tortie/torbie-ness but it only takes one little red patch somewhere. Otherwise. . .mama's been stepping out!
She's gorgeous!
 I don't see any red  ( well, it would be cream since she's dilute)  on her either!   Looks like Blue Lynx Point to me,  not Blue Torbie Point.... Hmmmm.... Mom may have been seeing some eumelanistic tom from the neighboring farm! 

(but as Willowy said,  she might have a tiny patch of red-based pigment.   even a pink toe.) 

She is a cutie and looks very happy.   

She's fluffier than Siamese  and has a rounder head than most the authentic old style Siamese kittens from US, UK and Thailand (Siam)  .      She really looks like what she is -- pointed  shorthair cat  with a great deal of Western cat ancestry.  

This cute lynx point farm kitten is a good example of how the pointed gene has been so widely spread through the domestic cat population  and can be passed down hidden by generations of non-pointed cats. 

shirazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Excellent point! No pun intended. She doesn't seem to have any red or cameo on her. Her nose leather is pink in the middle. Her eyes are not black rimmed and toe pads are a pinky blue. I would almost wonder if she is a lilac point dsh but her tail is fairly dark. To me this forum should be called "how to describe my cat", as a cat is either registered or it isn't. It is fun to guess at genetics though!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent point! No pun intended. She doesn't seem to have any red or cameo on her. Her nose leather is pink in the middle. Her eyes are not black rimmed and toe pads are a pinky blue. I would almost wonder if she is a lilac point dsh but her tail is fairly dark. To me this forum should be called "how to describe my cat", as a cat is either registered or it isn't. It is fun to guess at genetics though!
Well,  the forum section itself IS called "Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like"    but this is an old thread called "What Breed is my Cat?"  It was not actually started by someone really asking that .  It was started by Anne, the forum owner, talking about all the questions like that that people were asking and why  usually the answer is probably NO breed .  Ironically  the thread has persisted  to this day,  with people continuing to ask  what breed their cat is.   But sometimes they do read in advance and ask how their cat would be described,  or ask what breed their cat might look like. 

That said,  even if you had not said your cat was registered,   and it was a cat adopted from a shelter with no known history,  I would have answered that the cat sure looks like a Devon Rex!  

But usually it's impossible to tell.  

& sometimes there are cats that look so Persian that they surely must have some Persian in them.   And when I hear about a black cat with a low scratchy voice and a tail kink and extremely active and attention demanding ,  I at least strongly suspect some ancestry of a Southeast Asian breed. 

shirazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your comments! You might be right about her being a seal point. Only time will tell. Btw, she does have some banding on her tail.
As for my Devon - pawpeds is such a great resource. It's cool to see who the "foundation" cats are behind your own cat. Here's a link for Shiraz. She is now a retired happy house cat but suffering the antics of a vexing interloper named Cersei!!!http://pawpeds.com/db/?a=p&id=797629&g=4&p=drx&date=iso&o=ajgrep

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Yes with Cersei's  tail so dark and it looking almost black around the nose,  seal tabby point ( AKA seal lynx point)  seems possible.    If her darkest fur is black she is almost certainly seal tabby point.

Ah,  so  Shiraz the Devon is a chocolate mackerel tabby .  Well I got 2 out of 3 things right.      I did start out thinking chocolate tabby,  then I thought she looked like she may be a little darker on the points ?  so I guessed she might  be chocolate tabby sepia or mink   but it can be hard to see from one picture where you don't clearly see all the cat.  

Last edited:

shirazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had Shiraz's DNA done too which pointed out the long hair gene thing. But yes, she is a chocolate mactabby. I have had a chocolate bicolor boy before and that is a very cool cour too. He threw lots of blue bicolors. Also a few chocolates too. My other Devon is a dilute calico mactabby - would that be called a silver torbie?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Now I can clearly see she is  "C/_ "

a dilute calico mactabby ,   in TICA  that would be  Blue Mackerel Torbie and White.    In CFA  I think that would be Blue Mackerel Patched Tabby and White.      ( I think the CFA breed standards that use the term Calico,  only use it for the ones that aren't also tabby.    if they show tabby markings in both the black ( or blue)  and red (or cream) ,  it would be Patched Tabby and White.)  

Silver's a whole different gene and effect.    If such a cat also had the Inhibitor gene ,  it would be Blue Silver Mackerel Torbie and White in TICA.    or  Blue Silver Mackerel Patched Tabby and White  in CFA.  

sezb88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi:) Cersei is a beautiful kitten! I came across your thread while trying to find out a bit more about my cat Bella's colouring. Very similarly she was the only lynx point in a litter of regular tabby/solid coloured kittens. She is a year old now.Her colouring has varied slightly to when she was younger, I assume she is a chocolate lynx now. She is incredibly affectionate, playful, very vocal and responds immediately when called! She also happens to be best friends with my Sharpei x Staffordshire terrier!

ursuletemail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I assume she is well settled in and not for adoption (a year later:p)? Thought I'd ask. She looks just like my old cat and looking for the same type, as they have fantastic personalities :)

angelique

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are my two kittens Willow and Phoebe with Alfie,  Willow has a ginger tipped tail and Phoebe's tip is black, the tails are ringed and they look like yours, so I'm guessing they are Tabby Points too??