Feral kitten HELP please!

patc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I received two feral kittens yesterday - about 11 or 12 weeks old. I have tamed feral kittens before, and adults as well with great success.

I put them into a dog crate, without realizing there was a space large enough for them to escape and now they are huddled behind a TV cabinet, coming out only to eat and use the box when I'm not there.

They are very frightened and quite wild, and I seem to have become too queasy about traumatizing them to get them out and back into another crate. What should I do, and is all this negative handling going to ruin their chances of taming?
What is best?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many people fostering ferals are doing exactly this you happened to do. Let them out in a room. Let them hide if they want. Usually they want to hide, some or wholly. They coming out to drink, eat and do litter at first only when alone.

To have them in crate isnt necessary! It is convenient, as they cant get away and get lost again. And not all people do have a whole room for the cats only...

so dont worry too much. this is entirely normal. (do worrry only if they can flee and get lost...).

Let them calm down a little and land. And work with them in this half freedom. You say you know how to do? Write otherwise so you will get more advice.
Or look in the other threads... many of them are about work with shy ferals.

Do you have own kind and friendly homecat? Try to use shehe, it is often a great help in socializing shy semiferals.
(I take your homecat is fully vaccinated and the kittens are more or less healthy? Even a otherwise healthy homeless has almost always some parasites, often all of them. Which is of course also a good reason to keep them in a dog crate at first...Hopefully a carefully washed crate not smelling dog anymore).

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two boys were feral and 5 months old when they came tom e. I kept them in a spare bedroom and let them go where they wanted, which was under the bed or right inth e corner behind a pillow. I fed them and talked to them but didn't try to touch them except to take them to the vet for parasite treatments. I gave them some things to play with but feral kittens often don't know how to play. Gradually they began to come to come out when I came into the room, especially when I had food, and then to sniff me and at last to 'mark' me by rubbing. It took about 5 weeks before they would come up onto my lap when I sat on the bed, and Napoleon took longer than Wellington. Now they are both utter lovebugs and sleep under my duvet most nights and sit on the keyboard when they want attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement! All the other feral kittens I tamed, I did so with them starting out in a dog crate, then getting freedom when they were comfortable with me around. I used toys and food to do this,and was very successful, to the point that the kittens were all adopted out and are "normal" now (if ANY cats can be called NORMAL!).

I fear if they are loose in a room, they have no reason to tolerate or seek out my presence and may never come out when I'm in there, resulting in "indoor ferals". The room they are in is very small, with no beds to hide under. These kittens are extremely beautiful - a blue-eyed orange and a tortiepoint Siamese mix (who looks nearly pure) and I know I could easily get them wonderful homes if they were tame. Maybe I'm just too old and wimpy to do it again.

Yes, I have two other cats, both feral and ex-feral. My male is totally tame now (he was 1 year old when I trapped him) but his mother remains skittish and feral after 3 years. Although she is happy and has run of the house, she will never be truly tame or allow me to pick her up.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food is the great motivator with ferals. Don't leave food available to them at all times. Bring it in to them at scheduled times, and be very consistent. For now, Bring it, leave it for a while so they don't starve out of fear, and then come back a little while later and pick it up. If they don't eat, bring it back a little while later. Just make sure that they associate YOU as the one who provides food. As always with ferals, spend time in there with them, always bring food with you to begin with. Set it down away from you, and bring the good stuff - the stinky wet food.

Food is the way to man's heart, and also to scared kitten's hearts.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't fear! Some people prefer taming ferals by letting them be free in a small room. That way they will be coming to you, rather than you coming to them!

As posted, be sure they only are fed on a schedule, and with you nearby. Gradually inch the food closer and closer to you. Maybe even get them to the point where they eat out of your hand. That is how I tamed my last ferals, Jasmine and Blue. Blue was adopted out to a happy home...no trace of feral left in her. Jasmine has taken longer, and will stay with me. Now I can walk up and pet her. If I hold out my hand, she will touch it. And she lets my dd hold her and cuddle her!

Use food, toys, and patience to calm these kitties. And your gentle boy, if they kittens have had their vaccinations and vet check. I believe Festus (my lovely girl kitty) is who tamed Blue.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by patc

All the other feral kittens I tamed, I did so with them starting out in a dog crate, then getting freedom when they were comfortable with me around. I used toys and food to do this,and was very successful, to the point that the kittens were all adopted out and are "normal" now (if ANY cats can be called NORMAL!).
Very good you are telling us this. So it may be known that using a (well cleaned) dog crate doesnt need to be a dire emergency, but is a fully plausible alternative!

Thanks for the tip!

(although I still believe a small room with some shelter/hiding places is better)

patc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I always used a dog crate, half covered with a sheet and with cozy bed, litterbox etc. These crates have never held a dog, since I am with a cat rescue and we use them for our adoption events.

I fed them in the crate, and sat next to them while they ate, and started playing with kitty teaser type toys through the bars to relax them - feather wands seem irrisistable - and...well I"m sure you know the other steps taken!

I have tamed other semi-feral kittens with no confinement, but these two are fully feral and so far won't come out even for food if I'm there, even though they sure want the food.

These kittens have not seen a vet, so I cannot let my male cat in the room although he is sweet and gentle with kittens.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taming kittens involves pushing their comfort zones. The most important thing is to get them used to people and realizing that "hey, that wasn't so bad".

Seal up the hole in the crate, grab them, and put them back. Don't give them free access to food - just give them canned food every 4-6 hours while you are home. This will teach them to associate you with good things. When you leave for an extended period (like for work), or go to bed, then give them a handful of dry food. The goal isn't to make them hungry, but rather to make sure they have an appetite when you do feed them.

Once they are purring when handled and aren't afraid of your hands, then it's time to put them in a small room. You will have to pretty much start all over since they need to get used to big feet walking toward them and big people looming over them.

Most kittens should be ready for adoption in 4-6 weeks with this method.

patc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To crate or not to crate - that is the question!

Thanks for reminding me about the food. Letting them get hungry could be a powerful motivator. I"d been leaving them way too much, since they were so ravenous when I got them.

Thanks again!!!