Feral Cat UTI

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding 2 cats that I think were dumped by their owner . Friendly but cannot get close enough to pet One is straining.
And crying when it pees. I am wondering what I can give a stray with a uti I can get get close enough to give them treats ... I have some FlagylI left over when my cat had a urinary problem. Suggestions?
Going to the vet is not an option.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

I can only pose this question to you - what if this isn't a UTI and this cat is experiencing the beginnings of a urinary tract blockage - which can be fatal especially in male cats.

I am sorry, but I think you should get some help to trap this cat and take it to a vet. Check with local rescue groups to see if they can help. Also, tell them that you suspect they were dumped together, so it might be better to trap both of them and let them stay together.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably one of the things that I fight the most with my colony, U.T.I.........oh, no crying when it pees, how sad, that means that U.T.I. has been going on for a while.............
I treat U.T.I.'s with Amoxicillin mixed into wet food, it works pretty fast all considering, it takes time to get a hold of Amox in the mail, I can't see anything helping until ya get some amox in them BUT if I was in that situation, get some vet's best urinary tract support mixed into his wet asap, this will make him thirsty and and slow the crystalization of his track....and for God's sake, make sure he has fresh water, that he probably won't drink anyway cause that is what probably got him into this spot in the first place.......
That's all I can think of for now.................

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and if these are drop-off's that someone had for a while, the one probably stopped drinking from stress alone, that means the other one is probably not far from the same condition..............
Thanks for caring.............

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and if these are drop-off's that someone had for a while, the one probably stopped drinking from stress alone, that means the other one is probably not far from the same condition..............
Thanks for caring.............
One of them I have gotten tame enough to pet her and she hangs out on my porch. As soon as I can bring her in i'm sure she will calm down a lot. I'm going to get her scanned and on a rescue. She is not aggressive, just scared.I have 4of my own and have to make sure I can keep separate. Been looking for the owner no response . The one having issues peeing I am guessing is male . Cannot get Real close. But feeding them both wet food and water. I just noticed the issue with peeing today. I have 3 males of my own. To answer the question about the vet. I am broke and. since I just saw this today. I want to do something immediately to try and help the cat . He could be blocking or maybe just UTI. either way. I want to get them something immediately will help him go.
There's a real lack of support here in charlotte for cats. I moved here from california where people want to help them. I'm an experience trapper but I don't have the money personally to help this cat. and there's no such thing as low cost vets here for rescues . They don't even have free tnr. the best I can do right now is to get some antibiotics in him and hopefully that will help. Thank you for your response.

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably one of the things that I fight the most with my colony, U.T.I.........oh, no crying when it pees, how sad, that means that U.T.I. has been going on for a while.............
I treat U.T.I.'s with Amoxicillin mixed into wet food, it works pretty fast all considering, it takes time to get a hold of Amox in the mail, I can't see anything helping until ya get some amox in them BUT if I was in that situation, get some vet's best urinary tract support mixed into his wet asap, this will make him thirsty and and slow the crystalization of his track....and for God's sake, make sure he has fresh water, that he probably won't drink anyway cause that is what probably got him into this spot in the first place.......
That's all I can think of for now.................
thanks!!! I will do that and I have some Flagyl I used on my boy... It is not specifically for u t I But it is an antibiotic .

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

I can only pose this question to you - what if this isn't a UTI and this cat is experiencing the beginnings of a urinary tract blockage - which can be fatal especially in male cats.

I am sorry, but I think you should get some help to trap this cat and take it to a vet. Check with local rescue groups to see if they can help. Also, tell them that you suspect they were dumped together, so it might be better to trap both of them and let them stay together.

One of them I have gotten tame enough to pet her and she hangs out on my porch. As soon as I can bring her in i'm sure she will calm down a lot. I'm going to get her scanned and on a rescue. She is not aggressive, just scared.I have 4of my own and have to make sure I can keep separate. Been looking for the owner no response . The one having issues peeing I am guessing is male . Cannot get Real close. But feeding them both wet food and water. I just noticed the issue with peeing today. I have 3 males of my own. To answer the question about the vet. I am broke and. since I just saw this today. I want to do something immediately to try and help the cat . He could be blocking or maybe just UTI. either way. I want to get them something immediately will help him go.
There's a real lack of support here in charlotte for cats. I moved here from california where people want to help them. I'm an experience trapper but I don't have the money personally to help this cat. and there's no such thing as low cost vets here for rescues . They don't even have free tnr. the best I can do right now is to get some antibiotics in him and hopefully that will help. Thank you for your response.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi N Nancyo and a very warm welcome to the forum !

There appear to be many rescue groups and organizations in and around Charlotte.

Google exactly this: "cat rescue in charlotte nc" - you'll see more than a dozen right away. The Police Department's website is shown in those results - and, they alone have 20+ listings!

As someone with experience in cat rescue yourself, getting yourself hooked up with an organization there will open up lots of resources to you and you'll have a lot to offer back.

Keep posting!

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@ Nancyo, I've never heard of "Flagy", but as long as you know for sure that the hurting one is eating, hopefully wet AND have you actually seen it drinking water....I say that for you know that's a big plus that were still able to get things down the trap, a big plus....
I mentioned uti support pills crushed up in to wet to make animal thristy, drink more, it's like $15 bucks a bottle but without going thru the mail, I think that only big pet stores have it on the shelf..............
If your aware of Amoxicillin, your on the right track with anti-bio.... start asap..and watch cat's water intake.........

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
N Nancyo , like I said, I've never heard of Flagy, I hear there's many today, I've just always used Amox, it's always worked for me. I use 125mg. per day for 10 days in most cases. ......I mix in wet and usually have to taste-mask it....in which I use the uti support pills mixed in for the masking part, works well for me.............

Last edited by a moderator:

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
N Nancyo , like I said, I've never heard of Flagy, I hear there's many today, I've just always used Amox, it's always worked for me BUT if you ever have to go the Amox route, it's 125mg. per day for 10 days in most cases......I mix in wet and usually have to taste-mask it....in which I use the uti support pills mixed in for the masking part, works well for me.............
thankyou! I bought uti support treats yesterday. amox is best...I have to order it...Flagyl is antibiotic used for bacterial infections of the bowels/ intestines. Not as effective as ammox for uti... But won't hurt to start him/her on it. Thanks for your help

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flagyl is the brand name of metronidazole and is typically used for diarrhea caused by giardia and some bacterial infections.
A quick relief holistic remedy that you could consider, after consulting a holistic vet, is marshmallow root. I make a decoction out of cut, sifted root but you can simmer the powder from an opened capsule as well. Slippery Elm bark is used similarly. Both of those work by coating and soothing mucus membranes and offer quick pain relief (be sure to separate by 2-4 hours from other medications because their coating effects can inhibit absorption). Marshmallow root should be readily available at health food stores.
If you find a TNR group, you could try doing a fundraiser that directs people to donate directly to the group on kitty's behalf.

Last edited:

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
N Nancyo , got ya on the flagyl, when it comes to Amox thats the sad part, most people never keep it on hand, I have to with the colony, and telling someone to get Amox in that cat asap, most people are days away at best on getting Amox in hand, years ago you could find it everywhere but not so much anymore and the price has doubled but I'll pay cause I have to keep on hand......But I will agree on getting some of that fagyl in if you can for now, can't hurt.......When I first read your OP, I've heard that story many times and hate to hear it everytime, in my world when it comes to uti, I call it in 4 stages, and this cat your concerned about is at stage 3, at stage 4 we got a real problem.........If you can, try to see using those just bought treats, if he is drinking, my guess is probably not....I wish you could have got the vet's best uti support pills, it would make him thristy within a couple hours...............

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Flagyl is the brand name of metronidazole and is typically used for diarrhea caused by giardia and some bacterial infections.
A quick relief holistic remedy that you could consider, after consulting a holistic vet, is marshmallow root. I make a decoction out of cut, sifted root but you can simmer the powder from an opened capsule as well. Slippery Elm bark is used similarly. Both of those work by coating and soothing mucus membranes and offer quick pain relief (be sure to separate by 2-4 hours from other medications because their coating effects can inhibit absorption). Marshmallow root should be readily available at health food stores.
If you find a TNR group, you could try doing a fundraiser that directs people to donate directly to the group on kitty's behalf.
Thank you for the information. How do you administer the marshmallow route after, you simmered it? I have not been able to touch stray cat, But can get close enough to give him treats.. I may want to use it for my cats' as well . have an eighteen year old Maine Coon who is prone to intestinal infections. I gave the Gray stray flagyl Because it's all I had on hand and no amox. Anything to help. I also gave him intestinalsupport treats. He seems to be a whole lot better and he is eating and drinking . Thank you for your input

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
N Nancyo , got ya on the flagyl, when it comes to Amox thats the sad part, most people never keep it on hand, I have to with the colony, and telling someone to get Amox in that cat asap, most people are days away at best on getting Amox in hand, years ago you could find it everywhere but not so much anymore and the price has doubled but I'll pay cause I have to keep on hand......But I will agree on getting some of that fagyl in if you can for now, can't hurt.......When I first read your OP, I've heard that story many times and hate to hear it everytime, in my world when it comes to uti, I call it in 4 stages, and this cat your concerned about is at stage 3, at stage 4 we got a real problem.........If you can, try to see using those just bought treats, if he is drinking, my guess is probably not....I wish you could have got the vet's best uti support pills, it would make him thristy within a couple hours...............
Hi I couldn't find Vets best u t I support pills locally. But I did find catmx support treats. They seem to work .I noticed the cat drinking a lot of water past couple ofdays. He seems better and came around meowing for food. No yowling or crying. Thanks for all the suggestions and help

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe a national organization? See list below. Also, if you have NextDoor Neighbor web site, there may be neighbors around you that have some contacts for assistance. Couldn't hurt to reach out to your vet for possible contacts too.

Funds That Can Help You Pay For Vet Bills: US National Organizations
Thank you for all your suggestions!

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi N Nancyo and a very warm welcome to the forum !

There appear to be many rescue groups and organizations in and around Charlotte.

Google exactly this: "cat rescue in charlotte nc" - you'll see more than a dozen right away. The Police Department's website is shown in those results - and, they alone have 20+ listings!

As someone with experience in cat rescue yourself, getting yourself hooked up with an organization there will open up lots of resources to you and you'll have a lot to offer back.

Keep posting!
. Thank you so much! There are several rescues around. But they are always full and always busy. I used to volunteer with s.p.c.a but they're cat program fell apart. Unfortunately. sometimes I can partner neal with. The humane society when they have room. But there are so many grown casts just running loose. It's hard to find a place for any of them. Thank you so much