Feral cat is literally boucing off the walls

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In light of what Hissy said (who happens to know a heck of a lot more about ferals than I do) and the more I think about this situation, I believe you should keep the kitten. She has too many obstacles against her if you release her. The mom cat will likely not care for her, and as Hissy said, may run her off, making her situation even worse. The kitten has no shelter outside that she's accustomed to using. And when you move next week, she'll no longer have food. Re-reading your comments about how comfortable the kitten is being indoors now, and how happy and content she is... It doesn't seem right putting her back outside in the middle of winter. Mary, I know you are agonizing over this. But do you really think YOU'LL be ok once you move knowing that the kitten is alone outside with no food?

The timing is bad because of all the stress you have with the move. But I think you (and Levi) should try to make the kitten a new family member. Lots of us have done this too, and can help you. You care very much about this kitten and thanks to you, she has already made progress. No one can predict how the relationship between the cats will turn out. Rarely do cats react so badly to each other that a new home must be found for one. More likely, at "worst", she and Levi will just tolerate each other. At best, they will become good friends who will keep each other company.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

levi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
KT & Hissy,

It was too late by the time I read your postings, but I don't think I had a choice. Levi had thrown up again while I was at work. When I got home and took Levi to the vet, he was seriously dehydrated and the vet had to administer subcutaneous fluids. He did bloodwork, which I will get the results back tomorrow and will decide on a course of treatment for Levi. He suggested cortisone (I think?) to stimulate the appetite again or as he put it "things could get nasty if he doesn't start eating again." He suggested I eliminate the stressor asap by rehoming the kitten, but I had no place to take her. I am just sick over this, I had to make a choice between the kitten and a cat I have had for over 6 years. I really don't think the baby gates would have made much difference. This kitten literally lived on our deck for months before I trapped her and took her in. She and Levi had sniffed each other and had contact through the screen doors and windows for months. Levi would always try to attack the kitten and his mom through the screen. I don't know why I thought things would change when I brought the kitten in the house, but I never imagined it would make Levi sick. I PM'd you KT, but I just don't think I can talk about how difficult releasing the kitten was. It was one of the worst things I have ever had to do, but however I feel, those two poor cats must feel so much worse. This story has no happy ending, only sadness and regret on my part. I do thank all of you so much for your help and patience. I hope the vet can help me get Levi to start eating again. I have tried everything and every food I could possibly think of, but no luck yet.

Mary