"Feral" cat help!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
No advice for you I'm afraid but so relieved you managed to bring her in and that she is healthy. No sightings of Gus?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gusandanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw Gus on Saturday. He's been showing up once a week. I'm nervous to bring Anna home. The vet said she was "pretty wild". I didn't expect anything less..She showed up for breakfast and next thing she knew she was trapped and at the vet. She was petrified. I have everything ready for her...just nervous. I've kept a cat in the crate once before. He was recovering from an injury and had to be confined for 6 weeks. It wasn't his favorite thing but he recovered. So, I know the crate has plenty of room. I feel for her being scared and without Gus...

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is be very patient with Anna.Maybe gus will start sniffing at the door to find Anna. If she's crated maybe you can keep the door to your store open and put his food just inside the door. As

to the tortoiseshell maybe you can trap and spay her too. Will you be taking them to your home eventually? Dogs do get on with cats. I had a dog and cat that adored each other. Good luck and keep us informed.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you got Anna trapped.  I can offer a little encouragement in that I had a somewhat similar experience.  I had a stray cat show up and I started feeding him in about June.  He was cautious at first but then became quite friendly.  In December I talked a friend into taking him because the weather had been so terrible and the cat was outside.  I got him in a carrier and took him to the vet to be neutered and get his shots and checked for disease.  The cat was absolutely wild at the vet.  When the vet called me to say I could come pick him up he said "Are you sure you want him to be inside?  He is pretty wild."  He had even broken loose from the vet tech at one point and scratched the vet.  My friend was undaunted and said she could handle it.  She brought him home and put him in a room for a few days because she had another cat.  The cat calmed down once he was at the house and could not have adjusted better.  He and her other cat play together and may not be best buddies but at least get along.  He likes being in the house and goes out for short periods and comes right back.  Her husband adores him and he has never been a cat person.  Anyway, my point is, how they act at the vet doesn't necessarily translate into how they behave once they get "home".  Good luck and I hope you can catch Gus so they can be reunited.

gusandanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm home with her. She peed in the crate on the way home from the vet. She was soaked in it. I figured the best I could do for her was get her in her new 'room' and leave her alone for a few hours.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. Just leave her alone for a bit. When you go in, approach slowly and speak calmly and quietly. She will be fine. The crate set-up looks great!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the photo of her in her crate, poor baby.  She has comfy places and hiding places, and I am sure she will settle.  She has a lot to get used to but she will.  
​ 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jolly well done. Vets are used to being bitten by dogs and cats.
I hope she settles and gus comes back.

gusandanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't been eating or drinking since she arrived in her crate. No litter box action either..

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's traumatized.  No matter our intentions, they have no way of knowing we're only helping.  It may take her a few days to adjust to life in the crate.  Just make sure she has good food and plenty of water.  Give her some good stinky stuff - small amounts several times a day so it doesn't dry out if she doesn't eat it.

Once she starts eating, she'll begin using the box.  BTW - add a layer of dirt to the top of the litter.  She's been going outside, so she may not recognize litter for what it is.  Dirt and dried leaves will help her understand.  There is also a product called Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract that helps them recognize the litter box for what it is.