Female Cat Won't Recognize Other Cat After Lion Cut!!

EHO11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP! I normally don't post or ask for opinion unless it is of a dire situation. My cat Mason is prone and susceptible for hairballs. He is on Laxatone on special hairball wet food and absolutely HATES to be groomed/brushed (despite several attempts with positive reinforcement and different brands of brushes). My boyfriend and I are leaving on an Alaskan cruise in 4 days and to prevent potential intestinal blockages from hairballs (had a friend who's cat died from a hairball obstruction), I had Mason sedated and he got a medical groom through the vet clinic (he was also matted). When he returned from the vet, the female cat, Kiki growled, hissed and swatted at him after a thorough sniff of him! I've investigated online and tried to do the towel rub AND vanilla rub (imitation vanilla as I didn't have the actual vanilla) and none of it has worked. She still growls and hisses when she sees him. Not sure what else to do and now that I'm leaving for my trip in 4 days, I'm in desperate mode. I'm trying to do gradual re-introductions but its tough when I live in a one bedroom apartment. Does anyone else have any other ideas? It's such a shame since they are not litter mates but have lived with one another since they were both 8 weeks old for 5 years and have never been aggressive towards one another!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it is the haircut as much as it is him coming home with vet smells on him. Usually relationships get back to normal within a few days. As long as neither is actually attacking the other I would just let them be and they will settle down on their own.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Gradual reintroductions are your best bet here. Other members here have had this exact issue in the past, so you're not alone! Usually, things settle within a week or two, once both cats have relaxed and the shaved one smells more like his usual self :)

Feliway diffusers might help speed the process by helping everybody relax and chill, and there's always the option of food-based calmers like Composure or Zylkene too. I wouldn't use imitation vanilla for rub downs though. If you don't have the real thing, just use plain cloths, or even the corner of a favourite blanket that is soaked in both cats' scents.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EHO11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the warm welcomes and great advice! I will try to buy some Feliway diffusers and some Composure too :) I tried to do gradual reintroductions just now and let them see each other through a cracked door and she hissed :( at least its a start right? I've also tried to let them swap rooms (her the bedroom and him the living room and vice versa)--hopefully that will get her accustomed to his new and strange scent :/