Feeling bad about putting my cat to sleep

throwaway4kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know what the right answer must be, but it still hurts me.

My 16 year old cat has had hyperthyroid and borderline chronic kidney disease for well over half a year. He started gaining weight once we got him on thyroid medication and a renal diet, so I thought he started improving. But recently he started eating less and less, and began losing weight again. He had gradually gone from his normal weight to 7lbs, gained to 8lbs, then dropped to 6 again.

He also began having bouts of vomiting and either diarrhea or constipation and would poop all over the house. He would also pee outside the litterbox sometimes as well. I never thought too much of it since he’s getting old. But on Sunday it got so bad he became dehydrated, had blood in his stool, and he started panting. He was constipated so much that he couldn’t poop in his litter box, as he was visibly straining to go and there was no poop in it. But he also was having diarrhea coming out around it. He was also peeing less. He started to refuse eating or drinking the day prior. The week before that he was still well enough to cuddle with my by climbing up our leather chair (albeit with me putting the footrest down) and getting on the bed with the help of some boxes. But he was also tired and would sleep all day until dinner.

We took him to the vet for an x-ray, and it seems he had a colonic mass, in other words it seems his intestines were being blocked by a tumour and that was causing his constipation. It also revealed that his right kidney was atrophied and his left one had cysts over all but 25% of it. So it would seem that his kidneys have also begun failing him. We got him a shot of opioids and some fluids and brought him back home.

I know the right answer would be to put him to sleep. I don’t want him to suffer any further as his kidney disease worsens. I don’t know how he would handle or even survive surgery to remove the tumour and clear his bowels. But I still feel terrible about it because he still seemed somewhat okay before this all happened. He was still peeing in his litter box and was still happy to be with me and cuddle on my lap. Albeit he was a little bit slower…

Is it time for him to go? Please advise me, for there is already a euthanasia appointment booked for him this evening. :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

throwaway4kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it must be kinda pointless to ask, but I can’t shake the feeling that if we just gave him surgery then he would come back to life. Am I wrong for feeling that way? ☹

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are getting through this. I do know this feeling. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your intuition. Spend time with him and watch his body language. He will let you know. Also, no one knows him like you. You will see what you should do. Please discuss this with your veterinarian; they have experience with this and your fur baby. 🙏🙏🙏💙💙💙

throwaway4kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are getting through this. I do know this feeling. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your intuition. Spend time with him and watch his body language. He will let you know. Also, no one knows him like you. You will see what you should do. Please discuss this with your veterinarian; they have experience with this and your fur baby. 🙏🙏🙏💙💙💙
Thanks, I had spoken to a vet and she did recommend euthanasia.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the vet, "if this was your cat, what would you do?" Vets don't want to put cats to sleep before their time either.

However, that said, the prognosis for intestinal masses, if cancerous, is not very good. Are/Were they able to do a fine needle biopsy of it? A fine needle biopsy is using an ultrasound to guide a small needle into the mass to collect a few cells for microscopic examination.

The treatments for intestinal tumors depend on the type of tumor and extent to which it has grown and spread. With most intestinal tumors, surgery is the treatment of choice.

The surgical removal of tumors that have metastasized is primarily palliative, to ease symptoms and improve quality of life. The long-term outlook in these situations tends to be limited, with surgery providing few months of relief before the metastatic growths become problematic or the tumor regrows. In some cases, surgery can be followed with chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
Intestinal Tumors | VCA Animal Hospital

throwaway4kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would ask the vet, "if this was your cat, what would you do?" Vets don't want to put cats to sleep before their time either.

However, that said, the prognosis for intestinal masses, if cancerous, is not very good. Are/Were they able to do a fine needle biopsy of it? A fine needle biopsy is using an ultrasound to guide a small needle into the mass to collect a few cells for microscopic examination.

Intestinal Tumors | VCA Animal Hospital
How about if not cancerous/malignant? We didn’t do any biopsy. He is still old, very underweight and his kidney function is not good anymore. So I’m not sure if treatment would be a good idea regardless.

throwaway4kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has been very lethargic, doesn’t want to leave his cat bed. The only reason he gets up is to drink water and use the litterbox. He is still not eating. I am not sure if this is due to the mass or because of his kidney disease.

Also he is still dehydrated.

It all depends on how good his kidney function is, and whether he would survive the surgery and be in decent health afterward. I would never think about putting him on dialysis, it would be way too stressful on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about if not cancerous/malignant? We didn’t do any biopsy. He is still old, very underweight and his kidney function is not good anymore. So I’m not sure if treatment would be a good idea regardless.
Even if it's not malignant, this sounds like it would be a difficult recovery. Speak with your vet about this.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
He has been very lethargic, doesn’t want to leave his cat bed. The only reason he gets up is to drink water and use the litterbox. He is still not eating. I am not sure if this is due to the mass or because of his kidney disease.

Also he is still dehydrated.

It all depends on how good his kidney function is, and whether he would survive the surgery and be in decent health afterward. I would never think about putting him on dialysis, it would be way too stressful on him.
~ It it likely past the time kitty should be euthanized. When quality of life is gone there is nothing left. Very hard on us humans , but it is the compassionate thing for our pets .
✨️ Sending hugs to you ~ :vibes:💕

throwaway4kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
~ It it likely past the time kitty should be euthanized. When quality of life is gone there is nothing left. Very hard on us humans , but it is the compassionate thing for our pets .
✨️ Sending hugs to you ~ :vibes:💕
Yes, I think it must be his time, and I agree with what daftcat said. He is old and has two chronic diseases, as well as a heart murmur that he had from birth (we found him as a stray kitten.)
It’s just hard because I get doubts about whether or not he has some life left to live in him still. But with cancer on top of that, I think it is best to end his suffering now, rather than putting him through the stress of surgery.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my thread ❤