Feeding Raw to a pregnant cat?

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is probably a dumb question, and the answer is probably "yes, you can o3o"

BUT a couple weeks ago, the vet warned me against feeding Raw diet to Emry, who is due sometime within the next week and the next decade at the she's going. Something to do with the risk of the kittens getting parasites or something.

SO I've been feeding mainly canned food since then, I usually feed raw AND canned, because none of the three cats eat dry food consistantly enough to keep to a healthy weight, but with my on going money issues, feeding three cats (two of them get fed twice a day, and Emry gets fed atleast 4 times a cat) I'm going through canned food like I dunno what,well I've gone through 36 cans of food in about 12 days u_u I've got plenty of meat, a whole deep freeze full just for the cats, (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish) and even some game meat (deer, rabbit and squirrel)

Finn is a good wieght, Emry being pregnant just eats..and eats...and eats..and eats, Paint on the other hand is starting to lose weight, she and Emry have always been thin framed cats, but she's Paint is actually getting skinny skinny, even though she eats as much as Finn in one go, but she did do fairly well on an almost strictly raw diet.

I even breed my own feeder mice, and feed the cats the excess pinkys (humanely culled before hand, ofcourse)

So after that long winded post, is it ok to feed Emry raw (I know she'll eat it, because she stares at me if I have meat out for me to eat) or should I avoid it for now?

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is probably a dumb question, and the answer is probably "yes, you can o3o"

BUT a couple weeks ago, the vet warned me against feeding Raw diet to Emry, who is due sometime within the next week and the next decade at the she's going. Something to do with the risk of the kittens getting parasites or something.

SO I've been feeding mainly canned food since then, I usually feed raw AND canned, because none of the three cats eat dry food consistantly enough to keep to a healthy weight, but with my on going money issues, feeding three cats (two of them get fed twice a day, and Emry gets fed atleast 4 times a cat) I'm going through canned food like I dunno what,well I've gone through 36 cans of food in about 12 days u_u I've got plenty of meat, a whole deep freeze full just for the cats, (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish) and even some game meat (deer, rabbit and squirrel)

Finn is a good wieght, Emry being pregnant just eats..and eats...and eats..and eats, Paint on the other hand is starting to lose weight, she and Emry have always been thin framed cats, but she's Paint is actually getting skinny skinny, even though she eats as much as Finn in one go, but she did do fairly well on an almost strictly raw diet.

I even breed my own feeder mice, and feed the cats the excess pinkys (humanely culled before hand, ofcourse)

So after that long winded post, is it ok to feed Emry raw (I know she'll eat it, because she stares at me if I have meat out for me to eat) or should I avoid it for now?
I see no reason not to feed her raw for now. Then again, I'm no vet! I do know that pregnant kitties need a more fattening diet, so if you are going with a canned food then I suggest EVO 95%.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my queens are raw fed, they're all in great condition during pregnancy and maintain condition raising the kittens, kittens are also raw fed

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I fed my pregnant cat raw meals, along with canned food left out for free-feeding. As long as it's nutritionally balanced, I can't see a valid reason not to. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good to know, I just wanted a second oppinion, vets don't always give out reliable information on that sort of thing.

I mean, all other wild predators eat meat while they're pregnant, a cats basically a wild predator in a cute, colorful package O3O

feeding her game meats should be ok too then? (rabbit, squirrel ect like I mentioned) it's all wild meat. we've eaten what we had for us, and we didn't explode so xD