Feeding mostly/only chicken.

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally got a chest freezer and started the cats on their new raw diet a month ago. I'm ordering the finely ground meat/bones/organ from My Pet Carnivore. The cats freaking love their new diet. I've only gotten the chicken so far, its the cheapest and I didn't want to spend so much if they turned out to reject it. I just put a new order in and got chicken, turkey, and duck. To keep costs low I got 15 lb chicken, 12 lb turkey, and 3 lb duck, and next time I'll get rabbit instead of duck. I would like to keep Ohki on chicken only for now to wait and see if her allergies improve.

Is it alright to feed mostly chicken, or only chicken?

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finally got a chest freezer and started the cats on their new raw diet a month ago. I'm ordering the finely ground meat/bones/organ from My Pet Carnivore. The cats freaking love their new diet. I've only gotten the chicken so far, its the cheapest and I didn't want to spend so much if they turned out to reject it. I just put a new order in and got chicken, turkey, and duck. To keep costs low I got 15 lb chicken, 12 lb turkey, and 3 lb duck, and next time I'll get rabbit instead of duck. I would like to keep Ohki on chicken only for now to wait and see if her allergies improve.

Is it alright to feed mostly chicken, or only chicken?
I'm on the IN/MI line....get most of my stuff from My Pet Carnivore....they do a monthly delivery to South Bend.  You might also want to check out Raw Paws (rawpaws.org).  They are a raw food coop, based in Indianapolis.  My guys love the Blue Ridge Beef kitten mix....it's a mix of beef, chicken, bone, liver, and egg.  The quail also went over pretty well, but you have to add organs.  If you look at the calendar on the website...they have certain days you can go in and shop at the warehouse (wish I was close enough).  Their rabbit is cheaper, but comes in a 5# bag, which takes a lot longer to thaw.

Definitely try the rabbit.  It is the #1 favorite here.  I just got the guinea hog this month....cats really liked it too!  I started out with the fine grinds.  I still order them, but the regular grind is not that much different.  After the first couple months, I started getting some regular grind stuff which they handle with no problem.  I think the fine grind is good in the beginning tho, while their systems get used to processing the raw and the bone.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a temporary measure, it's fine to feed only chicken especially if you're dealing with allergies, but as a general rule, you want to feed as many different animal proteins/different parts of the animals as you can. They offer different nutritional profiles that balance out over time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The My Pet Carnivore warehouse is on the way to my husband's work so he picks up my orders on the way home. My Pet Carnivore has a more flexible calendar and no shipping charge for warehouse pick-up. The Raw Paws store would be more out of the way. If I ever decide to also feed the dogs raw and get a bigger/another freezer I would go for Raw Paws for the better variety and better prices.

Edea, Vivi and Zelda eat the fine ground really fast. I will try the regular grinds, heart chunks, and different meats that don't come in fine grind. Hopefully, some day, I can get them to eat whole pieces of meat. But Ohki seems to have a little trouble even with the fine ground. She still eats very slow and spits out the larger bits, but she seems to be getting better at it. I separate her to feed so the other cats don't steal.