Feeding an adult cat & a kitten?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both Twitch(3 years old) & Lily(11 weeks old) have been eating kitten food. Twitch is on a medication & Lily is skinny, so the vet told us to feed both kitten food. Now Twitch is getting fat, so we are going to switch her to adult cat food(vet's instructions). Both cats are free fed unless they get fat. Lily still is underweight for a kitten, but Twitch is getting chubby. Twitch only eats once a day on kitten food. Now I have adult food, but Lily keeps trying to eat it.

How can I free feed both cats two seperate foods? Is that impossible?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What food do you have them on???

Many adult food s are all stage if you read on them....

Any indoor formula for kittens>???

fonzi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What kind of food are you feeding them? I believe the new food I just got my cats on are for all stages..

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't free-feed first of all. Bacteria quickly gathers on food left out in the open and opens the cats up for digestive upset and other problems.

www.wildwhiskers.com has a pretty neat containment unit. I am currently using it to feed the kittens inside, while the adult cats eat out in the room. Once they are done eating, I unzip the unit, reach inside to dispose of the food and all is well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet recommended free fedding because of Lily. She is underweight & can only eat small amounts at a time. She eats a dozen small meals every day instead of two or three. Twitch still has a hard time with some food shapes. With the small round bites she can eat a little more, but her mouth is still slightly sore. She eats 4 or 5 meals a day(now that she is one adult food). I change the food 4 times a day.

Both love Royal Canin, unfortuantely all of the food is odd shapes & hard for Twitch to eat. Right now we have Science Diet kitten & Science Diet adult. Since feeding Twitch adult, she eats more meals. Lily only wants what the other cat is eating. I have tried feeding Lily in her crate, & feeding Twitch then, but Lily won't eat.

Can anyone tell me some foods that are for all life stages? What shape are the food pellets?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

The vet recommended free fedding because of Lily. She is underweight & can only eat small amounts at a time. She eats a dozen small meals every day instead of two or three. Twitch still has a hard time with some food shapes. With the small round bites she can eat a little more, but her mouth is still slightly sore. She eats 4 or 5 meals a day(now that she is one adult food). I change the food 4 times a day.

Both love Royal Canin, unfortuantely all of the food is odd shapes & hard for Twitch to eat. Right now we have Science Diet kitten & Science Diet adult. Since feeding Twitch adult, she eats more meals. Lily only wants what the other cat is eating. I have tried feeding Lily in her crate, & feeding Twitch then, but Lily won't eat.

Can anyone tell me some foods that are for all life stages? What shape are the food pellets?
California natural is a triangle not solid more three points.. it is good for cat s and kittens and is IMHO WAAAYyy better than science diet..

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why not feed a food that is for all of life's stages such as:

Life's Abundance - Life's Abundance is a small triangle with a hole in the middle.
Eagle Pack
Natural Balance

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You could try Felidae- that's for all life stages (though there's a new low calorie sort that's suitable for seniors, too), and is shaped like a small capital "T". I can also add my endorsement to California Natural, Natural Balance, and Eagle Pack Holistic. I haven't tried the other one Helen suggested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We can get SD in town, so that is the only reason we got it. Haven't found any other good foods around here. I hope to be in the pet store that carries Innova & Cal. Nat. on Wed, but we'll see(if the weather ever gets bettter). I plan on buying quite a bit of cat food(several different varities) to bring them home to try.

I have never heard of Life's Abundance. Do they have a webpage?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Another all stages dry food with small kibble I'd recommend is Serengeti Felid:
http://www.timberwolforganics.com/cg...=&pg=ste_oform
Whe Jamie was a kitten, and I was having trouble finding dry food that he could eat (he has some allergies), my vet told me it was fine to feed him Nutro adult. The kibble was too big, so I put it in a plastic bag, and went over it with a rolling pin to break it up.