Feeding 6 oz a day

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been almost 3 weeks since I switched Jed to raw. Previously on canned I feed him 5.5 oz a day. Recently though I end up feeding him up to 4 times a day if I don't have school or work that day. He seems to be hungry a lot. He'll bug me endlessly and I give in. Total a day is about 6 oz of raw.

He is about 13.1 - 13.4 lbs (roughly) and has been maintaining his weight. He's quite a big cat (pic below for comparison) and plays a lot - either with me or chasing random toys down the hallway. He is still a little overweight, but it wasn't as bad as when he came home from the shelter (15 lbs). I can see his waist from the top, but cannot feel his ribs.

Too much? I know I shouldn't enable him by feeding him every time he bugs me, but he's usually nice about not waking me up at ungodly hours. He maintains his weight, and while it's not ideal, I have not seen it as a critical issue yet.

View media item 186871
That's him next to my 22" monitor. Also it's awesome that he completely stops shedding any fur. 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's maintaining his weight at this amount, then the only reason to start slowly decreasing it is if you want to take some weight off. If you're feeding ground, you can mix some water into the food, and gradually - VERY gradually - feed a little less.

Of course, the higher protein content of the raw will shift his muscle mass vs. fat. One of my cats was 12.5 pounds last year, and the vet wanted me to take a pound off of him. This year he still weighs 12.5 pounds, but he has more lean muscle mass and less fat, and she thinks he's perfect now. :lol3: So there's that potential, that even though he weighs the same, his body composition may be changing (and muscle weighs more than fat).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course, the higher protein content of the raw will shift his muscle mass vs. fat. 
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. (If only I have the motivation to do that for myself - it's funny how I make sure my little one gets the healthiest best food and I don't watch my own eating).

His raw is a bit wet already - I mix the alnutrin supplement in water as directed, so it's always slimy.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Plus, even if they're a bit pudgy, eating only raw food they still shouldn't get diabetes, since they aren't consuming carbs.  That's what sets my mind at ease with my slightly overweight guy.  Dr. Christina agreed that since he just can't seem to lose any more weight, and she doesn't want me to cut down any more on his meager portions, that he is just going to have to be what he is...pudgy.  But she feels he is still very healthy and has few risks for future diseases because of his great raw diet.  (my guy started out at 15 lbs too and is now down to 13.3 ish) 

Jed looks wonderful!  I don't really think he looks overweight, but could be the picture.  I posted a picture of Darko from above, and people thought he looked good, then I posted one of him sitting, and everyone noticed his "spare tires"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looks pudgy when he's sitting or lying down, but don't let that fool you... this guy's crazy strong. I once played tug of war with him. He ripped the toy off my hands with his paw. Sometimes I'm amazed at how they learn to control their strength when they're interacting with their playmates and parents (kitty or human).

I haven't brought him to the vet since I took him home. The carrier has been in the living room forever, but aside from the first few days of curiosity, he doesn't go in there anymore. I can still lure him in with treats, but I still don't think he likes it in there.