Explain your cat's name

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got Hobbes from the comic Calvin and Hobbes from the 80-90s. He is a little tiger, and loves pouncing on everything (including family members) and we thought the name is so fitting for him. I’m sure we all do the “he looks like a Hobbes or whatever your cats name is” test.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky got his name because we had been looking for another cat to join our family. I had taken the other 2 boys to the vet's for shots and yearly check. I told my vet was thinking of adding another cat and she took me to see Lucky who had been surrendered with a broken elbow. So it was Lucky he was at the vet's when I was there. And I'm so Lucky i get to give him his forever home.
20240328_192118.jpg

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Felix was first. It was just a natural derivative of the word feline.

Miriam as a spin on a toy cat my son had that he called Moses.

Harvey and Oscar because by that time we were firmly in the "old person name" game.

The late great Cali was a calico, specifically tortoiseshell.

And Samson was named for his long hair.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy cat is named Teddie Bear. I named him Teddie because his fur is soft and cuddly and he is cuddly like a teddy bear. And Bear because he is fierce and wild with his toys like a bear.

When I thought she was a boy I named my girl cat Sammie Jr. after a beloved departed cat. Then when I noticed something was off and got a good look at her behind, she was renamed Samantha. As in the main character from Bewitched.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy is the only cat I've had who kept her shelter name. I like it and had thought before I might use it eventually.

Phoebe I don't remember what inspired her name! Most of our cats it's simply been a name Mum or I liked, no significance other than that. Only exception was Hadji. This was not long after the series Portrait of a Marriage came out. Mum and I were rather fond of Harold Nicolson as he was shown in that, so we chose his childhood nickname, Hadji (pilgrim) for the tiny lost feral kitten she rescued.