Exotic Mediumhair?

itsjeffmasters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there.
I'm mew to this site. I am very excited about getting my first kitten since moving out of home, years ago. I am attracted to the looks and personality of the exotic shorthair. I have found a breeder that seems like she knows what she's doing and have paid a deposit.
The thing is that she called and said that when he had his first vet check he was 'medium hair.' I am aware that longhair kittens are often born of two shorthair parents, and these are very much like Persians. I am not keen for the added maintenance of the long hair coat, thinking that 'lazy mans Persian' sounded good to me.
Here's are some pictures of him. He's 6 weeks old. I am due to pick him up in another few weeks. Do you think this guy is going to be a full on longhair? He's obviously adorable and if so I'm sure he'll be snatched up by someone else. Or is an exotic medium hair a thing and I'm overreacting? I've just looked for so long and want to do the right thing.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me (and I am no expert on Exotics) he appears to be an exotic long hair - meaning he will be a long haired cat. Who ever told you that zots are the lazy mans Persians misled you. They STILL have to be combed and groomed or will mat, according to several of my breeder friends. Genetically a long haired exotic is the same as a Persian - if you sequence the DNA you can;t tell them apart. Grooming of a long haired doesn't have to be a chore. All of my cats are Persians and I have more than one or two. If you work with them from the start getting them accustomed to it, including occasional bathing, it can be easy. My cats are only combed once a week, because a clean coat does not tangle like a dirty coat.